Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Weekend Win

So, a bit of a change of pace for today. My dad recently got a promotion, and my parents (who live about 5 hours away from me) had a BBQ to celebrate. I hadn't seen them in a while, and I'm in a lull with research/lab activity right now, so I packed G up and hit the road to spend the weekend with them.

My total exercise today was about half of normal, but I know I had at least as many cals as usual, maybe a bit more. I feel stuffed and uncomfortable, honestly, but I'm trying to ride it out. I could easily be exercising up here in my room right now, but I'm exhausted, it's been a long day, and I Just Don't Want To.

I find it so easy to restrict on car trips, because my appetite drops to nil, but I made a point of getting a huge loaded smoothie on the way out of town this morning, it kept me busy for a while and prevented me from being dragged out and fatigued when I got here, which has been the pattern in the past.

It was really nice to meet my parents' friends and their families and truly get to enjoy people without worrying about the food. I have made progress to the point that I'm pretty comfortable eating at these things, as far as finding foods that I'm okay with eating in reasonable amounts. It helps that my family are pretty healthy eaters. I think the second Boca burger was a mistake, though. It was well within my calorie range (especially since I just nibbled at lunch because the BBQ was between my normal lunch and dinner times, so I still needed most of lunch plus all of dinner cals), but those things make me SO full and it put me into the uncomfortable zone. I'll know better next time and pick something not so likely to overstuff me, like allowing for some dessert or something.

My brothers are awesome. My parents are great. My dog behaved like a champ. I'm happy I can focus on that now instead of being overpowered by the ED, and feel pretty victorious that I can enjoy these get togethers, after spending so many years dreading and freaking out over events like this.

Tomorrow will be tougher because I'll be here all day (I did get a workout in at home before I left home this morning). And it might rain, which limits chances to walk G, my main release for exercise anxiety here (it's also a great bonding time with my brothers, boys talk much more easily if you get them moving). But we'll see. Match is coming to Meet The Parents tomorrow night! I hope my brothers don't scare him off. ;) And we're watching the Lost finale! I'm going ot miss my weekly dose of shirtless Sawyer now that the series is ending!

5 comments:

now.is.now said...

YAY FOR CAMMY LIVING LIFE!!!! Take care of yourself, keep yourself fueled so you can keep being present with the awesome people who surround you. You are awesome!!!!!

lisalisa said...

WOOT! Cammy rocks!

Lots of people eat a bit past the point of fullness at barbeques and while this is normal for them I know it is not for you but you handled it beautifully!!!!

A win for Cammy, a FAIL for ED!

Anonymous said...

great the BBQ went well... i have never had a boca burger but maybe theres fiber and the protein can sit heavy in the belly?? thats GREAT you could focus and enjoy the time!!! and of course seeing you parents, cant wait to hear how the meet-up goes. i am bringing a person home to 'meet the parents' this weekend!

brie said...

yay for weekend wins...i had one too. i wuv ya C and i think about you mucho.

Protein Girl said...

Hey Sweetie!
Congrats to you for kicking ass this weekend! Boca's are so ridiculously low in calories but high in nutrients- one should never feel bad for eating something. Congrats to your dad for getting a promotion! Are you brother's supportive? HAve you ever thought of moving home or staying over night some weekends so you're less isolated and surrounded by love, care and support? You are doing so well, and you are strong and a fighter! I believe you can kick this! I have no doubt!
XOXO