Monday, May 3, 2010

Pancakes, Parents, Etc

A few brief items:

--This weekend I had a Breakfast for Dinner night at IHOP with Match and it was awesome.

--My mom is in town visiting for a couple of days! Detailed discussion of this in a later post, but in a nutshell I'm so happy to get time with her.

--Found to-die-for Little Black Dress today. I've been having a rough time w/body image the past few days, but this dress actually helped I think, because it made me appreciate my developing curves. It would have looked ridiculous a couple of years ago.

--Hello, summer! How could you have left me when you know I love you so? All is forgiven, though. I love that it's now cool enough for shorts at night, that's my standard for satisfactory climate.

--Seriously, every time I log into Facebook someone new is pregnant. Babies are going to take over the world. Random: I was looking at pics today of someone's infant with a strange name I'd never heard before, and could not for the life of me figure out the gender of the thing. It was a set of baptism pictures, so It was in white, no culturally defined gender color bias to help me.

--My dog is sick AGAIN. He had two accidents over the weekend, doubling the number he's had in the entire 5 years that I've owned him. I also have zero, zilch, nil dollars for the vet right now. It seems like feeding him rice instead of dog food avoids the tummy problem, but he can't eat that forever, it doesn't have the nutrition he needs. Poor poor G.

--I'm basically taking this week off from lab research, and A., my adviser, is to busy to notice or care, he pretty much lets me do my own thing as long as I meet deadlines.

Can you share a moment when you were extremely proud of yourself?

This one is fairly recent: it happened last month when I went back to speak at an event at my undergrad school. I gave my presentation (loved it, had a blast!), and afterwards a former student (I co-taught a Freshman class my senior year) came up to talk to me. I remembered that she had contemplated switching majors last spring, she was struggling a bit and thought about dropping science for something "less intense." I really saw a ton of potential in her, and tried to help her see her her strengths in the subject and make it seem fun and relevant, without exactly telling her what I thought she "should" do as far as her major. So anyway, that night, she told me that I was the reason she had decided to stay in science, and that she was now super-excited about her career path. I don't think I have *ever* been so touched in my life.

I hope you are all having a fantabulous start to the week!

6 comments:

Tiptoe said...

So glad you had a great day with your mom and a good time at IHOP. I haven't been there in years.

What a touching moment from your former student. *This* is the reason that makes you do what you do, well that, and all the cool sciencey stuff. But I think it is a reminder how much of a difference you can make in someone's life.

I had to chuckle over the facebook comment, because I found this other person from high school. She is a year older than me and has 3 children--all under the age of six. I was totally surprised.

Sorry G. is still having problems. Going the bland route for a week or so will be okay. Pumpkin seems to be out of stores due to some kind of contamination but sweet potato could be helpful as they act similarly. I'd just do as you did before with a gradual, slow process of adding other food. Also, do you have any metronidazole left? That can really help clear up diarrhea/GI issues.

Kim said...

Yay for breakfast-for-dinner! I love that :) I'm glad you'll get some mom time, and that you found a dress that makes you feel good! These are all good things! I envy your shorts at night. Yes, I live in CA, but my husband is a computer nerd who likes to keep his machines COLD. It's all AC, all the time. I totally hear you on the baby epidemic. It's spreading. It scares me.
I hope your doggie gets better soon!

lisalisa said...

just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that I am reading your blog, even though I haven't been commenting. just cant think of anything useful to say. But I wanted to let you know that you inspire me, and i am amazed at all you have accomplished in your life despite your struggles with the ED.

Anonymous said...

breakfast for dinner yummy! i love omelletes for dinner!!!!!! i am LOVING the hot summer weather. everything is blooming and smells divine.

that is so cool about the girl you inspired- that would make me feel so purposeful and proud, way to go!

little black dress...liking it, show us the lil thing!!

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

First, that is an AMAZING moment with your former student!

Secondly, hip hip hurray for the dress!!!!! I hear you on dresses looking awful when you are too thin--I only realized I was too thin like ONCE during my anorexia and it was when I tried a dress on a few days before I was diagnosed. I actually ran out of the dressing room in a cold sweat because I felt so nauseous and confused about what I had seen in the mirror. I'm SO glad you're rocking that new healthier bod and showing it off!!!

I'm also glad you went to IHOP. D and I used to wake up early on Saturdays and go trail running in and then go to IHOP, back when I was a runner in my freshman year of college :) I haven't been back since but the place holds great memories. I can imagine it might be a difficult place to go to with an eating disorder (hello, my reason for not going since freshman year, haha) so I'm proud of you.

Melissa said...

I've been way behind on my reading lately, so I'm just now seeing this post, but congratulations! That's such a nice story about your student.