Monday, May 17, 2010

Shoulda Listened and Spontaneous Score

Hey y'all, hope everyone's week is off to a good start. I had a late night and am sleepy as hell, so I am blogging instead of doing anything productive...I really wish I was able to take naps, but I absolutely can't fall asleep during the day, unless I'm in a car.

So, remember my frustration about the major hunger issues late last week? Well, it appears my body was actually being honest in its signals. For some reason (I've been good about my meal plan for the last week) my weight has been down progressively for the past few days, not a HUGE difference but lower than what's been within my flux range since late February. No explanation there. Which would probably explain why my normal meals just haven't been satisfying me, my system knew it was dropping weight and "wanted" to avoid that. Please note that I do have a reason in reporting this and it is NOT to celebrate or promote my weight slipping down, it's just a kind of "lesson learned" that when your body is sending you signals that it needs something, chances are that it actually does. Who woulda thunk it?

An ED habit I need to kick (Tweeted about this yesterday): menu obsessing. I've gotten pretty comfortable with eating out, but if there is an online menu available for the restaurant (or even "better", nutrition info), I will spend a really stupid amount of time examining it, weighing options, agonizing over choices. And I have a typical meal I always tend to resort to in the end, so it's a largely pointless exercise. And even after all the time spent poring over the menu online, I still take a long time to decide once we get to the restaurant. I need to quit doing that.

That does present a slight score for me from yesterday: M and I went out for lunch, and I'd pre-selected ahead of time the exact sandwich and side salad I was going to order, with the customizations and everything already planned. So we get there, and they were out of the meat that I wanted for the sandwich (salmon). Total loop thrown in plans. Panic? Sort of and sort of not. I didn't want to choose a different sandwich because I didn't know the calories for anything besides what I'd picked online. This was a disordered way to view the situation, I acknowledge, because I could have easily picked/estimated something equivalent. But I was put on the spot and panicked a little and reverted to ye old boring ED favorite, the grilled chicken salad. Once I am truly fully recoverED I'm never going to order one of those damn things in a restaurant again, after so many years of feeling like it was my only option everywhere I went. I loathe the thought of them at this point, and I do still sometimes resort to them but with decreasing frequency.

So that part was a win for ED, not for Cammy.

BUT, I knew that we had a full afternoon planned and I wasn't going to be satisfied by that salad (even my huge meal plan hasn't been satisfying me this week, remember?). So on our way out of the restaurant I got a milkshake, something I had absolutely not considered/planned for beforehand. (It was not JUST a milkshake but a Bailey's milkshake...I'm on summer vacation, I can have alcohol at at 1in the afternoon, right?). So the spontaneous milkshake was a huge win that should have given the ED a pretty nasty scar.

I didn't narrate any of this inner dialog to M, but he's pretty perceptive. He picked up on the fact that 1) having to change my order could be highly stressful and 2) the milkshake was an unusual and positive step, and his body language/face definitely told me he was pleased and proud. Reward!


7 comments:

Amanda @ HopeHasAPlace said...

I must admit that I am the same way about restaurants... if there is an online menu and nutritional stats, I look it up beforehand. At the beginning of recovery, this helped so that I wouldn't freak-out at the restaurant, and it gave me a realistic view of what I should/needed to be eating. However, now it's a bad eating disordered habit that I need to break.
But WHOA I'm super impressed about the Bailey's milkshake! That sounds divine, by the way, no matter alcohol in the middle of the afternoon. In fact, that sounds perfect right about now. Send me one? ;)

Lisa and Jim said...

I want a Bailey's milkshake NOW. Hooray!

Kim said...

Good going with the milkshake! I still like to look at menus online, though now I find that most of my deliberation is over what to get out of 4 or 5 things that look good. I tend to weigh things like price as much as I weigh things like calories. I suppose I will progress to just GOING and ordering what sounds good at the time. I still have this residual thought that my food preferences are so weird and that no restaurant will have something to meet my needs. But, turns out, I'm really not that picky anymore.

I did catch something you said -- WHEN I'm fully recovered, I'll never order that salad again. I catch myself doing this -- putting a fully recovered state on this pedestal and assuming that I will just cast off all behaviors once I achieve that state. The truth is that you will probably order a chicken salad in a recovered state and, if you truly don't like it, you don't have to ever order it again and you can start making that choice now (recovered or not). I keep doing this thing of saying I'll buy a pretty summer dress when I'm fully recovered, and now I wonder why I'm waiting. Life is now, and all that ;)

By the way...
My weight went down a bit when I was on the pill. Maybe it's something hormonal, like the system gets revved up or something. Dunno. But, it is a good lesson to listen to the body. I notice I get ravenously hungry halfway through my cycle and right before my period, which makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make sense is attempting to keep calories to an exact amount EVERY day, as if our needs are the same every day. That's not only silly, but boring!

Eating With Others said...

Hope you keep on hacking away at him!

And you will get to where you eat the salad just because you want one.

lisalisa said...

ah, good old grilled chicken salad (NO cheese NO bacon NO egg!)! Borring! I too am guilty of ordering that again and again. Now I love to order something regular and eat it, just because I can. I just look around at all the other people in the restaurant who are eating cheesy and fried things and think "hey, they can do that. I am allowed to do it too". Not that it is always that easy. But sometimes it works.

Way to go on the shake! YOu obviously needed something more and that's great to look back and think "hey I took a risk and nothing bad happened! In fact, it was good"!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Bailey's Milkshake- that sounds delicioussss!
Oh the grilled chicken salad...haha...I remember those days- as much as I love grilled chicken I just can't do it on top of a bed of greens anymore thanks to the ED days when I could have probably started an entire blog devoted to GC salads.
I admit I still have a tendency to look up restaurant menus- most of which don't have nutritional info available, but I always like to see my options so that I don't take a century to decide (my new problem is that I'm not picky enough...that plus my obsession with always choosing the BEST option makes meal selection quite a lengthy analytical process sometimes.)
Like what you said about our bodies knowing what we need- SO TRUE!

CG said...

That milkshakery is pretty awesome. (YOU are pretty awesome).