Friday, February 12, 2010

Va-jay-jays Rock

So The Vagina Monologues was showing on campus last night, and I decided at the last minute to go to it. Match actually went with me, he was one of about 5 guys in the whole theater, what a brave soul...I thought it would be awkward, but it was actually ok, although I did try to tamp down my laughter at some of the raunchier or more man-bashing jokes.

I had actually seen the show before, they performed it on campus at my undergrad school a few years ago (I haven't worked out the way to distinguish these two eras of my life yet, I want to just say "in college" when I refer to undergrad, but that could be confusing because I'm still in college as a grad student, but it's not the same). The cool thing about the show is that Eve Ensler wrote a bunch of skits in her book, and each production takes some of them to perform, so it's a unique mix every time. And of course no two theater groups will do a given skit in the same way. Last night was about 50/50 with ones I'd already seen and new ones, but with live theater nothing is ever old.

Anyway, if you get the chance to go to a showing of this, DO. It's amazingly empowering. Brutally honest, but in a refreshing and insightful way. It is both hilarious and sobering. The shows this time of year are in honor of Vday, and the money goes to support domestic violence and rape prevention organizations.

This kind of thing is great for women everywhere, but I just wanted to mention it on here because I think that people recovering from EDs might be especially benefited, in some ways, from seeing it. It talks about sexual trauma, which, while not ubiquitous for ED sufferers, is a frequent factor. Also, I think that one of the things that makes recovering from an ED so difficult is just learning to trust and appreciate having a woman's body, learning to love and embrace and be damn proud of it. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy into the theory that all EDs are about keeping oneself in a prepubertal state to avoid sex. But even if you are a big fan of sex, developing a new body is strange for anyone, and it helps to be reminded of how awesome it is to be healthy and to take up space and have an empowered presence, both physical and emotional.

Also, if you can't get enough of Eve's amazing insights and the candidness of her interviewees, check out The Good Body, which is about body image issues that women face in our society and cultures around the globe.

7 comments:

Tiptoe said...

I will refrain from writing what I thought when I read the title. (yes, you can do an "Oh Tiptoe!")

Moving on now, I'm glad you went w/Match and enjoyed it. Vagina monologues are very powerful. I remember when it first came out and the hole it filled about women's issues.

Anyway, I also wanted to post that Eve Ensler has a new book, I am an Emotional Creature: the secret lives of girls which looks interesting.(http://womensmediacenter.com/blog/2010/02/eve-ensler%E2%80%99s-mission-awaken-the-girl-self/)

Hope you have a good V-Day!

Cammy said...

I just read I am an Emotional Creature, and I can attest that it is great, definitely not just for teens/tweens.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess the title of this post could give a first impression that calls into question my sexuality, for someone who has never read my blog before, LOL. C'est la vie. Although now I do wonder about what kind of people will stumble across it with kinky Google phrases...that's what comment moderation is for.

Kim said...

I've see the Vagina Monologues twice and enjoyed it both times. One was in a theater with famous actresses performing; the other was on a college campus with drama students performing. I actually found the second one better and more empowering. I would go again, for sure. I'm not sure Larry would go with me though, so kudos to Match :)

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence! Vagina monologues is showing at my school next weekend and a whole bunch of my friends are in it!! Looking forward to it :)

now.is.now said...

I have always wanted to see the vagina monologues!

Lisa and Jim said...

I remember when I really started actually gaining weight (for real that time), it felt like puberty again. I had to go bra shopping and everything.

lisalisa said...

I still can't say the word "vagina". I can barely even type it. I think I am either completely repressed, or a total prude, or some mix of both.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and that Match went with you! What a guy!