Friday, February 5, 2010

Accidental Lessons

Ok, sorry for the brief post earlier, did it on my phone while I was waiting at the car shop. Here is the short version of the story:
  • I was actually having a great day until I headed home from campus around 12:30.
  • It was raining, roads were wet.
  • I stopped at a 4-way intersection, then made a left-hand turn.
  • This black sports car came around a turn, barreled toward the intersection and went roaring down through. I couldn't get out of the way fast enough, so he caught my driver's side flank.
  • I somehow ended up spun around 180 degrees, facing the way I had just come.
  • My rear driver's-side door was crushed in and that wheel was at a funky angle.
  • The entire front of the other guy's car was smashed in.
  • By some miracle of physics, neither of us had a scratch. I bruised my knee on the steering wheel, and my back injury from December was re-aggravated (the muscles still seize up at the slightest shock), but it could have been much, much worse. The cold rainy weather and my near lethal dose of adrenaline were the worst physical stresses. One of the firemen actually left his sweatshirt with me when they left the scene because I was shivering so badly, teeth chattering and everything. Although that was probably just as much nerves as incipient hypothermia.
  • Match was at work, and he doesn't get a cell signal in his office, so he couldn't come get me.
  • I was unsure of who else to call. This was the worst part. I have made quite a few friends in the few months I've lived here, but no really close friends, and no one I wanted to bother to take time out of their day. I ended up calling my major professor, who is ultra-nice and always helpful.
  • The other guy was just a high school kid, and his dad came out and yelled at everyone. That wasn't pleasant, but I understood he was scared that his son had such a close call.
  • I got a citation for the accident, since he had the right of way on the road he was on (although I KNOW he had to be speeding, and I had followed the rules for stopping, signalling, looking, and he came around a turn speeding, but he did have the right of way on that road, technically). They told me that if I go to my court date and take documentation that my insurance is covering all costs, they'll dismiss the charge.
  • They towed my poor car, we went to fill out paperwork at the shop, and my prof took me home.
  • Car will be out of commission for 1.5-2 weeks.
  • I realized I left all of my keys on the keyring I gave to the tower, so I had to get an extra from my landlord to get in the door, and can't check my mail.
  • The kid's dad took him to the ER to get checked out. He claimed and appeared to be fine at the scene, and his air-bags didn't deploy, so I think this was just a precautionary measure, but still makes me nervous. I probably should have gone, because my back aches pretty badly, but I'm fairly certain it's just over-tense muscles from the jolt.
So that was the incident. I was amazingly composed and stoic until about 5:30, when I had this delayed stress reaction and just broke down. Glad it happened when I was safely alone in my apartment, at least.

So a few relevant observations:

  • This happened when I was on my way home for lunch, hungry because I hadn't eaten since 8. This little diversion mean that I ended up not getting home until about 4:30 (appetite gone, needless to say, but I did force at least something down).
  • So this was an excellent example of a time when it was good that I have more reserves than I used to, because if it had been back during the times when I was on such a razor-thin edge in terms of stamina and energy, it could have been much worse, both physically and mentally. A strong example to the last time I had an accident, about 4.5 years ago, which occurred around 6 pm when I hadn't eaten anything all day, and had to wait in the freezing rain for TWO HOURS for the police to get there. I was seriously afraid I was going to have a heart attack, I was having such bad palpitations.
  • If I wasn't this far in weight restoration/recovery, my bones would be weaker and less cushioned, and I could have been seriously injured. I would have suffered much more in the cold after the accident. I would have had a harder time keeping a calm, clear mind while dealing with the police, irate father, insurance company, etc.
  • Finally, yesterday and today were half-days in my exercise challenge, which was probably for the best, because it meant I wasn't so depleted while dealing with all of this. Verdict: driving fail but recovery win.

So, lessons learned, albeit by accident.

14 comments:

Tiptoe said...

Though I hate the fact that you got into an accident, I'm glad 1) you came out virtually unscathed, 2) your car is fixable versus being irrepairable, and 3)that yes, you did indeed have more reserves which is a direct result of your work in recovery.

I do hope that if your back gets worse, you get it checked out. I also ho9pe the charges get dropped, because I know how stressful it is to have something like that hangingover your head.

I definitely understand the whole delayed shock/stress thing. When I was in a bad car accident back in 2002 (rainining as well), I was like that. It took a day or two to really hit how severe the accident could have been. The thing that realy broke me into tears was thinking if Baxter had been in the car with me (he was an only dog at that time and often went on car rides with me), and the fact that I (and the other person) basically walked away from that accident.

I send healing thoughts to you.

Cammy said...

Thanks, it means a lot. I think part of the delayed meltdown was generally anxiety release, part was realizing how much worse it could be, and a big part was that the other driver was just 17, and it REALLY got to me that I was almost involved with the death of someone's child. Even though I know the "child" is only 5 years younger than I am, it still made me feel sick.

Cammy said...

And maybe because he's the same age as my own brother.

Carrie Arnold said...

I've only been in two serious accidents, the first where my car was totaled and the second where my car was damaged but not too seriously. And that moment in between the horrendous squealing of brakes and crunch of metal and the eruption of horrified explatives (well, if you're me, the accident is followed my a stream of cussing) is just awful. It's the worst feeling. I'm sorry you had to experience it, Cammy.

I, too, hope the charges get dropped--my mom had something similar happen (only this accident was totally her fault, as she rear ended a guy at a red light because she thought it had turned green) and had no problem getting the charges dropped.

I'm glad everyone walked away, and that anorexia was the thing that got bruised the most. I wish I could give you a hug and come take you for some decaf and a bad Lifetime movie (don't laugh- it's extremely therapeutic!) ;)

Eating With Others said...

Your safe and ok and so is the other driver. That is the important thing. Also you should be able to call people, they will not mind. In fact they might enjoy being able to help, give them a chance.

ola said...

I like your reasoning about recovery and reserves but it i not allway that fair and the mot impotant thing i that you and this speeding kid are safe! I hope you consider going into hospital if your back won't get better. This adrenaline and shock game our bodies can play after major stress is VERY tricky. But I hope more everything will be just fine! o.

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

C,
SO GLAD you are okay!!! This is very, very scary. I was in an accident that totaled my car when I was a junior in h.s. and it basically sounds like the same scenario--I stopped, signaled, looked, went, and someone came speeding over a bridge in a sports car, hitting my driver's side door. Apparently, if he had hit 1.5 cm closer with the most impact, I would have probably died, but he hit the strongest part of my car and I'm still with us. It's so scary and unnerving. I don't like thinking back to it. Like you, I also got cited, although obviously IF I COULD HAVE SEEN HIM, I OBVIOUSLY WOULDN'T HAVE TURNED. I'm glad you can challenge your ruling. My parents didn't let me at the time, but there was a fatal accident there and a series of nonfatal accidents so they wound up redoing the intersection a few years later.

Anyway, I really like the conclusions you came to. I'm sorry you felt like there was no one that you could call besides Match. I had a similar experience when my car broke down this fall and the only person I wanted was D. Later on, though, I realized that I would have come for anyone in my cell phone book, and so they probably would come for me. I bet you would have been surprised, but I know it's REALLY hard to think clearly in the midst of an accident scenario. So glad your prof could come see you and help you out.

Keep us updated on how you're doing. It took me a few weeks to feel back to normal after my accident.

Tiptoe said...

As just a side note, I've read that it usually takes the body anywhere from 3-6 months after a major accident to really come back to a full normalized state. The adrenaline and shock are so high at the time. Just something to think about.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness that is so very scary- gla you are okay! that is great your body isable to run on what you have in to for a while even though it may not be ay ideal thing. good for you!

Kim said...

Oh gosh, I'm so glad you're ok. If your back is hurting, please get it checked out, just to be safe, a know? I was in a bad accident several years ago and I did have that delayed shock reaction. I'm glad you were able to come to so many positive conclusions with your recovery. It is a blessing that you are at where you're at. I hope everything works out ok with the citation. I'm sure it will. It's so frustrating that he was speeding!

Katie said...

I'm really glad you're relatively OK! It's brilliant that you were able to draw those conclusions from the experience - I don't know if many people would be able to be that rational within 24 hours after a crash. You're right of course, it could have been much worse, but major kudos for being able to recognise that! I hope the charges get dropped, I will cross my fingers and every other appropriate body part that they do ;)

Unknown said...

Take care sweet Cammy! I really hope you are ok!

CG said...

Oh sweets, I am so glad you are ok!! What a nightmare. xoxo

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD! i'm new to your blog but just had to comment on your experience, wow! i'm relieved to hear everyone is ok and that you weren't seriously hurt. you have such a great perspective on the accident + your recovery, i admire that. hope you're not too shaken up!