Mentally I thought I was OK, but I damn near had an anxiety attack yesterday when I picked up my rental car. I have NEVER had driving anxiety before, but I really just wanted to get off the road. It didn't help that I am used to driving a light SUV, and they gave me a tiny little car that feels like it's made of plastic; I'm not used to being that low to the ground.
Match and I had tickets to a concert on campus last night and planned to meet there to save time, since he was coming straight after work. I was so nervous about driving that tiny car in the dark on these roads (traffic in this city really is treacherous, I've hated it ever since I moved here) that he offered to leave work early to come pick me up instead. I was very glad. Plus, I couldn't afford the rental insurance on the car, so I want to minimize time on the road with it anyway. My regular car insurance covers it, but I'd owe another deductible, after already paying that amount on repairs for my own car. That is not possible right now.
I am going to have to get a grip sooner or later, though, might as well be sooner. I am used to being Miss Independent and I don't like this feeling. I'm going over to his place tonight for a Super Bowl party, declined the offer for chauffeur service.
ED-wise, same ole same ole. This week I am supposed to have 3 half-days of exercise. I did 2 on Thursday and Friday, plan to do the last one tomorrow. I am super body-conscious right now, and had zero appetite Friday and Saturday, but trucking along.
7 comments:
It takes time after an experience like that. I know I was super frightened to drive in any rain conditions. I still have trouble if it is downpouring, even though my accident only had steady rain and that was 7 1/2 years ago.
Give yourself time-make it small increments if you have to.
As for car, yeah, driving different cars does feel odd at first. Remember the little beetle I drove to meet you last summer. That felt so so tiny compared to what I was used to. Just remember, you'll have your car back in no time.
Totally normal to feel that level of anxiety after your experience- especially with a car you're not used to driving- but with time it'll get better :)
Sounds like you're doing well with the exercise challenges- I like how you're now calling it 'same old same old,'- and about the body consciousness, I think perhaps it's partially to blame because you've had a rough week.
I hope you have fun at the party!
Sara
This is so normal. I wrecked my car a couple of months ago and I couldn't drive for weeks without just about having a heart attack. It's gotten better. Don't be afraid to take time to get back on the road if you need it.
Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm glad you're ok! I'm sending good thoughts your way.
I second Tiptoe - it takes a while after any shock to feel OK in a similar situation again. As long as you keep trying you will feel calmer about driving with time. It's a pain in the butt that these things don't come with definite time limits though! It would be good to have the reassurance that you'd be all better after a week. I like to think with anything though that as long as you try and push yourself a bit further everyday you are guaranteed to get there :)
Good luck with the different car!
I'm sorry about the whole situation with your car, that had to be traumatizing!! It's normal for you to be nervous driving, but it's important to do it anyway... you know, the whole "if you fall off a horse" thing.
Driving different cars is weird; I'm used to an SUV too but I had to borrow my brother's tiny car once, and it was so ... strange.
<3 <3
It will get better you have to give it time. And, not to depress you or anything, sometimes years latter you can have a flashback to it. Even just hearing a car crash now makes me flinch sometimes. It's just a part of life.
so sorry C. :( i'm glad you are doing okay, and that you don't seem to be suffering any serious injury. my thoughts are with you.
xoxo
Post a Comment