I have great hair.
It is thick, thick, thick, and strong, with lots of body.
It is shiny and feels great to run my fingers through.
It feels even greater when someone else runs their fingers through it.
It catches the sun in interesting ways, highlighting the different shades of blonde.
I don't necessarily do a lot with my hair, I'm pretty low-maintenance. And it's cool with that. I don't even have to brush it unless I'm pulling it back: just scrunch and go works well.
Maybe some people don't even think it's particularly great hair, as hair goes. But I enjoy it immensely, so that's ok. I hope everyone thinks their own hair is awesome. I gripe because I wish it was straight, but really the curls aren't so bad, they're good for challenging my control issues.
Contrast to a couple few years ago, when it was brittle and dull and alarmingly thin. No sheen. No density. No vive. I can't tell you how many bottles of Drano I went through trying to clear the hair clogs in my tub and sink, because I lost handfuls of it every time I showered.
And scarier than that is how numb and ambivalent I felt as I watched it shed and die. I observed it clinically, dealt with the inconvenient mess, and went on with my day, not registering any fear or emotion or misgivings.
I do not miss those days and the me that inhabited them.
Pretend my hair is curtains. It's like the difference between this:
And this:
Just a friendly reminder that you restore way more than your weight in recovery.
And to jump topics in wrapping this up, I got not one but TWO, count 'em dos stickers at therapy yesterday, one for exercise and one for eating challenge (I ordered a non-salad entree at dinner with Match Tuesday night, and it turned out to be kind of scary and not what I expected when they brought it out, but I dealt). They join the collection.
17 comments:
Recovery hair is the best! I've always had pretty good hair, though it was more brittle when I was sick. I'm considering getting my cut shorter this weekend, so it'll be even fluffier :)
Glad you did the non-salad entree :)
Yay!!! Such a great post to remind us why recovery is beautiful (in this case, beautiful hair :-) And yes, I do seem to be sticking with that as my mantra...
Also, I would like to comment that my word verification that your blog wants is panten, which reminds me of Pantene Pro-V, which is quite fitting in light of this post.
Enjoy your stickers! You deserve them :-)
That is a funny coincidence, because Pantene Pro-V is the shampoo I use. How does Google get so smart? What is the line between smart and creepy? jk! ;)
i love your hair too! when i see pics of it, me gets so jealous!
and congrats on your stickers! i totally get what a big deal they are - i like it when i get stars, too. :) keep it up, you deserve all this progress and happiness and more!
I'm so happy to hear about your hair! When my last relapse caused me to shed worse than my cat, it really drove home the point that I was seriously ill. And it's nice to have my real, healthy hair back!
I use an olive oil-based shampoo and conditioner because my hair is naturally coarse and wavy, and otherwise it looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket! LOL
Also- double sticker week? Way to go!
I LOVE this post sooo much!
Because it's so easy to get caught up in the whole "weight" thing and I love that you are able to, and are noticing, appreciating, and celebrating the other parts of you that are becoming healthy again too!
You have reminded me to look for those other things that I am grateful for as my body heals :)
I guess I'm lucky that I've always had pretty thick hair -- actually, it used to be SCARY thick! And curly, too, which drives me nuts, but I like your way of looking at it... good for control issues. ;) I'm glad you're celebrating all of the beautiful parts of you!
Congratulations for your stickers!
<3 <3
Yay! Stickers! I'm glad you ordered a real food not just a salad.
Hooray for hair! I think it's hard for people who've never had a hair-loss experience to understand how demoralizing it can be. When there's a small hamster in the drain after you shower ... it's hard to feel good about yourself at all.
Do real blondes have more fun?
And yay for stickers! Stickers are THE BEST for motivation.
Well done for the stickers! And yay for the hair - I get excited about not having dry hands anymore, they were really painful last year and I got through so much moisturiser, but now they look after themselves :) Little things like that have such a novelty value!
1) I need to read your blog way more routinely. I miss it. This is my own fault.
2) yay hair!
3) You get stickers in therapy?? *jealous*
ohhh i agree with the hair stuff!!!!!!!!! oh my gosh i had GOBS OF HAIR, thick coarse hair naturally wavy i wish would always be straight..well i got tat along with hai loss, brittle crappy thin hair with anoreix...however, it is coming back!! thick and shiny once again!!!
I sooo know what you mean here!!! I'm glad your hair is back! AND YOU ROCK FOR THE STICKER EARNAGE!
I love the curtain metaphor!
And yes isn't it so lovely having such lively hair back! :)
It's amazing what nutrition does to the body!
And I feel ya- I have naturally pretty wavy (almost curly hair)...and I'm a straightener addict...but now it's getting longer and bouncier and has enough vive to go au naturel ;)
This really resonated with me, as my hair used to be my "thing." I had great hair, most of which is now thin, dull and on the floor of my bathroom/shower. Although I've never been vain, I am ashamed to even try and do anything with it now.
I'm so glad you're healthy and can enjoy and recognize the fruits of your labor!
that is so great that you are seeing the positives of recovery! unfortunately my hair never grew back well which is why I keep it short. but I think my hair thinning may also be genetic.
Congrats on the stickers!!!
I heart the "before" and "after" photos. Such a perfect description!
Post a Comment