Friday, March 12, 2010

Trip Review: ED Stuff

This is Part II of my review of my spring break road trip. In my last post I mentioned the things that went well: bonding time with my boyfriend, meeting his family, etc. Eating and exercise were bigger challenges, which, although I think I did manage decently overall, did present a few rough patches.

Exercise
Not only was I out of my normal habitat, but I had way less opportunities to exercise than I would have liked. Two of our days were spent sightseeing, which kept us on our feet, but two were spent in the car (although I got quite a bit of workout time in before we left on Saturday morning), and the other one was mostly sedentary visiting with his family. On the visit day, I told Match ahead of time that it would do wonders for my state of mind if we could fit a walk in at some point, and he was very understanding. It worked out well, because we ended up going with his mom and her dog, and I got to see a bit of the neighborhood. Still, it was a minuscule amount of activity compared to what I'm used to. This definitely did affect my eating. Although I didn't do terribly badly, I knew I was often in a deficit during the trip.

Eating
The only very difficult incident was Monday night when we went out to dinner with M's dad (we actually ate dinner out with him every night, this was the only really hard one). I tried to be adventurous and order a non-salad thing, especially since it was a day we'd been moving a lot and I knew I was in the red on my calories. But the item I ordered was way bigger and greasier than I expected, and it threw me off. Uberstress. M's dad noticed I was picking at it, and started making comments about me not eating it and generally making it obvious he was watching me like a hawk. This is the HUGEST appetite killer for me, and totally shut me down for the meal. I was frustrated because I knew I needed to eat, but really felt too anxious, off kilter, and under the microscope to touch the food. I was was pretty near tears. I knew he didn't mean to make it difficult, he was just trying to seem attentive, but the whole point is that I cannot handle attention to my eating. Match picked up on my distress and tried to keep the conversation going to take me out of the spotlight, but at that point I was in internal meltdown mode and it didn't matter. My Twitter pals (you know who you are) "witnessed" this in real time when I had a chance to type on my phone during a bathroom break and in the car on the way home. You ladies are awesome, by the way, not sure if I conveyed at the time how much I appreciated your support.

So I ended up not touching a bite of it, and going to bed empty even though I had walked all day and only had a moderate sized lunch around noon. In retrospect I can see how I could have coped with what I was served (scrape X off of Y and eat it, have bread from the basket, etc), but I was just freaked out at the time. And the thing is, I truly didn't feel hungry once I was in panic mode, even though my stomach had been growling before we got to the restaurant. I did feel fat and soft from not exercising. And I felt no hunger the next morning either, absolutely none, and I felt just as fat as ever. I think this was the scariest part of the whole incident. Just a reminder of how easy it all is, how smooth it would be to turn back in that direction. I did get back on track that morning, because we had some great activities planned and I wanted to have enough energy to enjoy everything.

So Monday night was the only complete failure. I did eat much better than I would have in the past, although still didn't meet my mealplan most days. Most of that stemmed from self-consciousness around Match, who tends to be a bit of a light eater himself. I know that is ridiculous, that he wouldn't think less of me for eating when I'm hungry, but still.

Candidness
M did pick up on my meltdownishness on Monday night, and we discussed it after we went to bed. He was very understanding about why the situation made me uncomfortable. He noticed I'd disappeared for a few mins and had been using my phone right after, and asked if I had someone I contacted when things like that happened. He said he wished I could come to him instead, which was nice, but I felt like I needed to calm down a bit before talking to him about it.

On the car ride back on Wednesday we spent a couple hundred miles discussing the ED and body image stuff, actually. I've kind of been giving it to him piece by piece as our relationship has progressed, and I think spending extended time with me helps him to get a better grasp of where stress points and other issues might be found. Overall he was incredible about it. He had some probing and specific questions, but I'm at the point where I feel ok about answering pretty much anything for him. The only thing that bothers me about how he handles it is that he still likes to stroke my stomach sometimes, even though I've told him several times that it makes me uncomfortable. If I redirect the hand once he does it, though, he goes along with that. And he is a pysch major, and apparently has learned some things about EDs in his classes that I really do not agree with, but he was open to hearing my opinion on those (like using BMI as diagnostic criteria, certain differences between AN and BN, etc).

Ok, so that was that. He has now seen/learned way more about me, and I apparently have not scared him off yet.

I think I underestimated how much a few days of calorie slashing would affect me, I have felt extremely lethargic and a bit "swimmy" ever since I got home, still trying to get my balance back. So in a nutshell, some significant challenges, but the trip was definitely worth it.

10 comments:

Kim said...

I've usually in the red calories-wise on trips. Or, I have been up until sort of recently. It's just easier for me, psychologically, to handle being out of my comfort zone. Restricting is like a security blanket. I do much better these days, but I've had some meltdowns in the past. I get confused when I'm around new people, with different eating schedules and things. I lose my appetite completely and have very overwhelming "fat" days. Anyway, it sounds like you did OK considering the circumstances. I'm sure dinner that Monday night kind of came out of nowhere and hit you with some oh-so-lovely ED stuff. I hate that. I'm just happy that you were able to open up more with M and tell him what's up. That way he understands and there's less shame and stress on your end. You'll get back on track soon, and I have a feeling the next trip will be even better, ED-wise. Have a good weekend :)

Tiptoe said...

I think when we are navigating the waters of recovery, there are bound to be times of meltdowns and high stress-ability. It's how we react, learn, and "do better" next time. And we can only do that by realizing where our pitfalls are.

This trip was quite out of your comfort zone, but you went and had a good time. I think Match learned more about you, and you allowed him to as well. These are all strides, Cammy.

As I always say, each challenge you conquer is another chance to prove to yourself your own capabilities.

now.is.now said...

It always scares me too when I have one bad day and, all of the sudden, I'm determined to keep restricting and I'm all caught up in my body size. Like you said, it's a reminder of how easy it would be to slip back into it all. It's scary.

I'm glad Match is so understanding and so willing to learn. I hope, as time goes on, you will be able to turn to him in those moments.

Seems like you really challenged yourself this trip and did amazingly well! I'm really proud of you! This trip shows how much progress you've made. It also shows you where you have opportunity for growth.

The great thing that I see is that you always kept your priorities straight (live first, ed last). Even when you got off track on Monday night, the next day you made sure to eat breakfast SO THAT YOU COULD PARTICIPATE IN THE FUN LIFE ACTIVITIES. That shows your dedication to life. Keep going, Cammy! You deserve to have full participation in life with nothing holding you back.

ps: does Match know about your blog?

Telstaar said...

Hey my lovely,

I am impressed with how you've reflected upon everything that happened and I think have managed to come out of it doing pretty well all things considering! It totally wasn't an easy situation at all. I don't know if you're aware but in the fight/flight response (distress response) our gastrointestinal and immune systems shut down in order to try and deal with the threat that we face. Ironically the threat for you was food, but your body appeared to have a very normal stress response to the percieved threat! I think that sure, upon reflection you have been able to see how you could've dealt with it and I think that will be in your memory flashcards ready for use if a similar situation arises in the future, but at the time, your body and mind were trying to protect you and that is OKAY!! We learn and perhaps it is better to have had that experience (as awful as it was) and thus not have it 100 times over, then to not have it and not be able to face those situations??

I'm glad that you were able to talk with M about things. Interestingly I was reading this training course for counsellors the other day on eating disorders and the content was SOOO far off base that I plan on actually writing to them! I shudder to think about what it would mean for clients of those thinking that they're learning about ed's! I often think that it is almost better that trainees learn next to nothing about eating disorders then have a tiny bit of information because if they know nothing, then they'll go searching for information in a rush to figure out what to do and often read a LOT of stuff (and usually from better sources then a generic text book) whereas if they have a LITTLE bit of information, they dont' realise what they don't know and don't realise what parts of it are just not correct! *sigh* but there goes all my high horses again :). In your situation, I'm just glad that he will listen to you and hopefully learn from your experience!

*hugs*

xoxox

CG said...

I wish you could eat for you and realize you are more important than the opinions of others at the table. xoxo

lisalisa said...

i have a hard time on trips, too. Also eating in other peoples houses, which I am going to do tonight for the third time this week. Match sounds really great. Some guys get "scared off" by the whole ED thing, but he really sticks by you and cares.
I'm glad you had fun, but I bet you are glad to be back home :)

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I also have a hard time on trips and overestimate the calories (plus lose my appetite.) I now just let D portion my food when we're on trips if I really can't decide, or I pack meals/snacks I know I will be comfortable with. It's always a little stressful though. Like Kim said, I'm glad you were able to tell him how you were feeling. I hope you can continue to be honest--for example, tell him you feel like he eats less than you. I've told D that and he now makes a conscious effort to eat a snack with me every time I need one when we're with other people. It's so helpful and hasn't affected him/his weight at all. He swears he doesn't mind and it just keeps me on track.

licketysplit said...

Eating with unfamiliar people and especially at people's houses is something I am still not very comfortable with. I think it's understandable that this caught you a bit off guard and had a bit of a struggle with it. I also tend to kind of freak out a bit when people comment on my eating while I'm eating. It just feels so personal that I almost feel invaded that they talk about it or question it in public. I'm glad that Match was such an excellent support and willing to listen what you had to say.

Angie said...

Also, Love the title of your blog, by the way :) amen!

Angie said...

Cammy,
Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I appreciate it a lot! I look forward to reading more of yours!