Friday, March 5, 2010

From the Family Circus Files

So just yesterday I wrote a post about the importance of finding humor in awkward situations, and I should have mentioned that my family is great about this. We make jokes sometimes that might seem a little, I'm not sure, uncomfortable for someone squeamish about acknowledging EDs. But my anorexia issues are not really a secret, and so we can joke about it. We share a sardonic sense of humor, and I've never felt like they were teasing or guilting me. Like I said before, it's a mechanism of empowerment and bonding to be able to find humor in these things, I think. Anyway, all that exposition just to share with you a text exchange I had with my 16 year old brother this morning (background: he is currently seeing a therapist for depression, so we trade therapist jokes occasionally, helps to diffuse stigma since neither of us is the single "messed up one").

Cammy: Morning baby bro, I had a dream about you last night.
Brother: details...
Cammy: I don't remember much, but it had to do with a nativity set and a buffet.
Brother: i am so telling my therapist you called me fat. think i'll get a new Rx out of that?

I sometimes hesitate to share these because they aren't quite as funny after the fact as they are in the spontaneous moment, but oh well, attempts at Friday light-heartedness never hurt.

Update on my continuing car woes and and spring break issues later.

6 comments:

Tiptoe said...

That's hilarious! So good to see it's all in the fam.

Was wondering how your court appt. went today.

Maeve said...

Your brother sounds awesome! I'm glad you guys can joke about these things.

I'm sorry to hear you've got continuing car woes!!!

now.is.now said...

I think it's fantastic that you joke about these things. It reminds me of a few months ago when my brother was trying to ask me some question, but I couldn't understand exactly what his question was. I said, "I'm totally not following. What are you really trying to say?" He said, 'I'm trying to say you're fat.'" It was hilarious though because the topic was completely unrelated. It was just a joke about how I hear anything and everything to mean "you're fat." Also, over winter break, my brother said, "Do you want a muffin?" I said, "No, it's okay." He said, "Oh, sorry, it's not whole-fiber?" I thought it was funny.

Thanks for sharing these stories. I think they illustrate not just the humor that you've been able to have, but they also show the honesty between you and your brother. It's fantastic!

Kim said...

Haha, so funny! I love family humor ;) My sister and I joke all the time. She loves to make fun of my OCD tendencies.

lisalisa said...

I'm glad you don't have to be serious with your family all the time. It sounds like you all really care for eachother; that is so great!
P.S. I'm glad you got your car back!

brie said...

haha love it. i think it's good for you and the fam when you get to a point where you can joke about it, too. i'm getting there with my fam, and me likes it. ;)

smooches.