Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring Break Approacheth

So, I am officially on spring break. My classload is so depressingly light (I am not joking, one reason I'm so unhappy here is that I really don't feel stimulated) that it doesn't mean much of a difference in workload, most of my work is research, not class related. But it is still kind of a nice way to mark progress through the semester. And to mark a milestone in my relationship: first road trip with Match. We leave tomorrow, and we'll be back Wednesday night. I'll also be meeting his parents for the first time. :s

So I'm nervous about the obvious things: not getting as much exercise as usual, eating in unfamiliar places, eating every meal of the day with other people, etc etc.

Exercise: We'll spend 2 days driving, but he's not really an early bird, so I'll have time to get at least something done to work out before we leave on travel days. And 2 of the remaining 3 days will be doing sight-seeing stuff that should keep us on our feet for a good part of the day. So only 1 day I'm really stressed about.

Food: I can handle fast-foodie stuff on travel days, I think people tend to overlook that you can indeed get at least decently healthy stuff (read: grilled chicken salad) pretty much anywhere. I also find it incredibly easy to restrict when I'm traveling. So I know that the bigger concern than eating "too much" is eating too little and then not feeling well enough to enjoy the trip. So must make an effort with that.

Other food: Once we're actually up there, we'll be staying with his dad. Which is GREAT, because he's a typical bachelor that doesn't cook, so we'll be eating out most meals. This is less stressful than eating in someone else's home, where you have no say over what is served or how it was prepared. There will be only one day of that: we'll spend Sunday at his mom's house, and eat all 3 meals there. Fortunately, he told me in advance what she'll serve. He told her I like salads a lot, and she's going to have that available...although again I know that I run the risk of a double-edged sword: being too uncomfortable with the "real food" to eat that, but knowing that having just the salad is not going to be enough for me. I've got protein bars and such as backup, but still.

Things to remember:
I like seeing new places, I enjoy meeting new people, and I am good at making friends. So this trip should be good, right? If Match's parents are anything like him, I'm sure we'll get along great.

I am trying to treat this as an experiment in normalcy. Like, a trial basis of "what would I do if I didn't have an ED?" Normal people can go on trips with their boyfriends and enjoy the ride and the food and the sights without having an internal meltdown over imaginary ounces of weight gain.

So that's the goal. I'm taking my computer and should be able to update at some point if I'm flipping out. Any positive "Don't Restrict or Spontaneously Combust" vibes you can send are greatly appreciated.

Abrupt change of subject: I am seriously cursed when it comes to cars. I had traffic court for my accident this morning, and on the way there not less than FOUR people honked and flashed and motioned at me about my rear tire (the one that was in the area hit in my accident). A guy at a red light told me it was "wobbling so badly it looks like it's about to come off."

Well shit.

I couldn't not show up for court, so I got downtown and parked, and called the body shop where I'd had it (supposedly) repaired. They said they'd send someone out, and I went into court. Fortunately they dismissed my case (being an innocent looking young woman can SO work to your advantage sometimes, I'll admit...although I truly was innocent anyway!), so I was out fairly quickly. The car guy said he thought it was just the rim, and told me it was ok to drive back to the shop. More honks and flashes en route.

They put it on the lift when I got there, and apparently in the entire month that they'd kept it for repairs, no one noticed the hub of the wheel was bent. So they replaced that. It only took about an hour, and I sat in the lobby and chattered to the office ladies with stories about my research (I can't really give details on here, but suffice it to say my research is pretty damn cool stuff, in my humble opinion), it seemed to keep all of us entertained.

So that's the swirl of stuff in my brain right now. Off to drop G. off at doggy jail and finish packing. Hope everyone has a great weekend!


PS I have joined the growing bandwagon over at Formspring: http://www.formspring.me/cammy4b. Ask away, although don't be offended if I am not able to answer immediately.

5 comments:

Tiptoe said...

Yeah for spring break! I think this is a great opportunity for you to challenge yourself, especially with all the progress you HAVE made.

I really hope you are able to have a good time. I know meeting parents can be ner-racking, but I bet they will love you!

As for car, I'm glad you are okay and your case got dismissed. I hope your car is now fully fixed. I've been there, and done that. It can be a scary thing.

Have fun this spring break!

Kim said...

Have fun on your road trip! I have some of your same anxieties with any kind of trip. Like you, I find that it's easier to restrict when I travel. My main concern is getting enough to eat, not letting my "particularities" lead to restricting. I also stress about getting some exercise in, though I find it's pretty easy to walk while traveling (and that's pretty much my only exercise anyway. Ha). I think it'll be a great opportunity to get out of the comfort zone...yet again...and see that things go OK. I did a similar trip with Larry and I was sort of in shock for the first 2 days, but then I was fine, and I have great memories of the trip. Enjoy yourself!
Oh, and sorry about the car troubles! Yikes!

Amy said...

You will be fabulous. Drop me an e-mail or whatever for my # if you want an emergency texting outlet. It's my Spring Break, too, so I'll just be write-write-writing away.

Katie said...

Oh goodness, your poor car! I'm glad it's OK now, and that the court dismissed your case. I hope your road trip goes well, I always used to not-entirely-intentionally restrict on vacations too, but I've made a concerted effort to change that over the last year - like you said, it's much nicer to be able to enjoy holidays! Good luck with your ED-free trial :)

Anonymous said...

not good about your car! spring break will be fun just keep sane, have a plan, execute the plan, and tell yourself being out of your comfort zone is normal and cling to the boy for support!!