Dietitian: When you're tempted to restrict or exercise to cope with stress, what do you think you're going to get out of it in the end?
Cammy: When a smoker lights up a cigarette, what do they expect to get out of it "in the end"? Their need for it is all that matters in the moment, isn't it?
Dietitian: *blink*
Cammy: *checks watch*
Dietitian: That doesn't make lung cancer any less deadly though, does it?
Cammy: *blink*
11 comments:
Good point! It's funny because I'm such an overthinker and planner in many respects, but with anorexia, I've always been very fixated on the moment, and quelling the anxiety/depression of the moment. I don't always think about the end result. This is good to remember!
You made me laugh. I never thought of the analogy that way but I love that you stumped each other even if for just a second.
So you need to be stronger than a smoker!
One time my friend in med school said, "Think about it like this: Just like a smoker, you're killing yourself... you're just doing it a little faster."
Good point.
I hate logic sometimes.
<3 <3
haha this is sucha good point. im so into the moment, the anxious.overthought,nervousness that activity right then and there needs to be done and the consequences can fix themselves..
doesnt help i smoke as well...lol haha
:)
1) my therapist says that people develop neurosis when they do things without thinking about their results or when they think about the goals and results and do nothing for it. It is not analogic with what you have written, but I wonder if someone made researc on this "cigarette habit" in anorexia. It is not only anxiety, not physical addiction, just some temporary loss of rationality.
Something more positive:
2) My father (who is doctor working on ICU) used to smoke about 10 cigs/day for 20 years. He stopped 20 years ago because of little kids in the house:)
So that if your analogy really is analogic, there is hope in it!
Have a lovely weekend
ha! you made me giggle out loud :)
haha!! so true!!
bahaha.
i love you, c, and i love your d. you might have met your match! ;)
Too funny but true too. I've done these type of stumpers on my therapists before. C. and K. were always the best, because they came right back at me.
If for nothing else, these things make us stop and think for a moment.
Post a Comment