Friday, March 12, 2010

Back to Real Life

I am back from the big spring break adventure with Match, scrambling around to get caught up on work, blogs, e-mail, etc etc. Poor G. was very sick when I got back, so have been dealing with that too. So much to say about the trip that it's hard to know where to start.

Trip with Match
Spending five straight days (including 8 hour car rides there and back) with Match was a milestone, and I was interested to see how it would go. Would we have anything left to talk about after the first long ride, much less after almost a week of not really being out of one another's sight?

It went better than I could have hoped. It's like a positive feedback loop where the more you get, the more you want, you know what I mean? So this part was a score.

Meet the Parents
One of the main features of the trip was that I met Match's parents (dad and mom + stepdad). A little bit of stressage leading up to that. But it turned out to be great, they were all awesome and I felt like I managed to make a good impression and hit it off with them. I really felt comfortable with them right away. Score again. It was also interesting to see Match in the context of his family and the town where he grew up.

Lack of Me Time
I live by myself. My life is full of Me Time. I am independent to a fault, and get a little overwhelmed if I don't have an escape route from a given situation. This is not to say I'm anti-social, I actually love meeting people. I just like to have the comfort of knowing it's on my terms, and I can leave when I want to. The longest time I've ever really spent straight with Match was about 18 hours. Normally I am able to change my routines and such by telling myself that I can make up for it later, adjust this or that. This goes for specific behaviors and just plain recharge time. So this was a challenge on this trip, but I think I did well with it. I was able to get away for 15 minutes or so a few evenings to just chill, check my messages, etc, and it was ok. It also helps that I was around someone I was comfortable with, that knows a lot about me, so I didn't feel like I was having to maintain much of a facade. (Not that I am normally two-faced, but you know what I mean, I hope?).

I started to write up the eating stuff, but this post is long already, so I'll publish that separately later today. That was where most of the hard parts occurred. But overall the trip was GREAT and I felt like it was a success in several ways, if not all (see next post).


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm so glad the trip went well! (For the most part, anyway.)

<3 <3

Eating With Others said...

Glad you had so much fun. I'm with you on the me time though. It's important to me.

Kim said...

Wow, sounds like the trip was an awesome success. My friend and I were saying the other day that couples should have multiple honeymoons BEFORE getting married. Traveling together is a huge deal and really shows how you get along. I knew the parents would like you :)I also need a lot of me time, but I have someone who totally respects that (and needs "me" time for himself, which takes the pressure off me). I'm so happy all went well!

Katie said...

I'm really glad you had a good time! I know what you mean about liking to know that you can leave somewhere at any time - my car was in the garage this week and it caused quite a bit of anxiety. It's much easier to socialise if I know I have an escape route. Anyway, well done for coping with that and with the relative lack of time alone :)

now.is.now said...

I'm so happy to hear this!

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

Haha, I love that you describe it as a "positive feedback loop." Spoken like a scientist...

but seriously, I'm glad that it went well. The other stuff (food, exercise) might be what occupies the most anxiety/head space (and thus what occupied MY mind as I thought about you going on the trip-weird that I thought about you a lot?,) but THIS is the important stuff--the relationships.

Match gets my vote!!