Anyway, here is one of the poems I rediscovered this afternoon. Judge it kindly, keep in mind this was about five years ago, when I was 17 years old.
Waiting
I am waiting for tomorrow
When the shadows will all brighten
I am waiting for tomorrow
When the crushing load will lighten
I am waiting for tomorrow
For chaos and stress to cease
I am waiting for tomorrow
For that ever-elusive peace
I am waiting for tomorrow
When all wounds will mend and heal
I am waiting for tomorrow
When the gaping cracks in life will seal
I am waiting for tomorrow
For flowers to bloom and birds to sing
I am waiting for tomorrow
For the sun's rays and the illumination they will bring
I am waiting for tomorrow
But each morning brings a new today
I am waiting for tomorrow
But the present never seems to go away
~[Cammy], 5-11-04
It's painful to face that younger version of me, and to feel her pain all over again. I still identify with those feelings, although I can see that I have gained wisdom and insight since then. (Although maybe those of you that knew me back then could argue that, ha). If I could go back and talk to that Cammy, the most important thing I could tell her is to quit waiting. Nothing just arrives while we sit by passively. Wishing for tomorrow takes the focus off of what you can be doing today. Making changes, reaching out, reaching in, moving forward, it's all an active process. Sometimes you just have to jump. Yes, it's terrifying, and you may get stressed and hurt and scared. But you're already stressed and hurt and scared, so what do you have to lose?
I am still guilty of this waiting game, just to a lesser degree. It's easy to give to the pressure from the ED urges, to say that tomorrow, tomorrow is the day I'll change, tomorrow is the day I'll be more responsible to myself, but today it's too hard. Then, just like always, each tomorrow "brings a new today," and I'm still running in the same disordered hamster wheel while the world goes by without me.
The five years since I wrote that, and even just the past year, has been a roller coaster ride. I know I have made progress, and I know I have a ways to go. Even though I am constantly riding through ups and downs, one thing I can say for myself is that I am finally--slowly but surely--learning how to stop waiting.
6 comments:
hey cammy,
i don't have something really relevant to comment on this entry, but i realized (since 17 yrs old was 5 yrs ago) that we're pretty close in age. we're both in similar phases in life, and similar phases in recovery (trying damn hard, but still having setbacks). i'm recovering from bulimia, and you from anorexia, but i always find something to relate to in your blog. just wanted to say that you're really awesome and strong, and i really love reading your blog.
Cammy,
The dark, dark side of science writing will always be available for you, you know. :) You do have a gift for writing.
The class that was my lighthouse in high school (from OCD and depression, not AN) was AP US History- also a writing-intensive course. My teacher told me I should go be a writer, and I told him something along the lines of "Pshaw! I'm going to be a scientist, not a writer." He got a chuckle when he learned of my career change.
I find it very interesting how creativity is so healing for people with EDs--people in general, really. If I couldn't write, I would go nuts!
I've always loved classes that can reach the creative processes. I had a great AP English class in high school, and in college several of my women's studies and honors classes were like that. It helps to put some things out on paper.
I'm glad you pulled this out and read it again. The you of then to the you of now is both the same and different. I'd say the you of now is wiser but much more aware which can be a blessing in disguise.
I think the idea of waiting is something we are all a bit guilty of. I know I can certainly raise my hand to that. But you are right that waiting passively won't change the big things in life, the things which cause self-destruction.
Maybe that hamster wheel can spin a little less furiously?
Hi Cammy!
"Written area" is one of those places where I feel safe and sometimes I am even enjoying myself during writing :)
Maybe you could use your writing gift in therapy (?)
Waiting and excuses, impatient and restlesnes. Synonyms for my anorexia.
Hugs!
"I could go back and talk to that Cammy, the most important thing I could tell her is to quit waiting".
Sound advice, Cammy. You have certainly come a very long way in those 5 years.
Writing is a great outlet for me, too.
And I definitely relate to the "waiting game." It's like I feel like until there is some "magical sign" things won't be right with my recovery. But, it's really not that interesting. Recovery is kind of mundane and progressive...but worth it.
Keep writing :) I love your blog!
Post a Comment