Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Speaking of drugs....

Speaking of drugs . . . I teach pretty much all day on Wednesdays, but I have a break from 3-5, and it is my ritual to come back at 5 with my signature coffee from my favorite local cafe (ventidecafsugarfreeamericanowithanextrashot).  

Background: I am a total coffee addict, BUT I am totally off caffeine.  I am one of those people that yes, actually enjoys coffee outside of mochasuperfancychinos.  At one stage in my life I was a complete slave to caffeine (consuming about two pots of coffee and a few diet cokes every day), but after some heart scares I detoxed from it.  That was my senior year of high school, about 4 years ago, and although I occasionally lapse (during exams, or when I have to make a long drive), I've been good about not succumbing. 

During the Caffeine Years I was almost immune to the stuff, I always had a cup of coffee about half an hour before bed.  Now that I'm "clean," however, I am SUPER sensitive to it.  One cup of coffee in the morning will keep me jazzed all day long.  

So, we get back to today: when I ordered my drink I emphasized that it needed to be decaf, said it at least THREE times.  Got my coffee, took it to lab, consumed it...and about 20 minutes later, realized there had been a mistake.  Heart going crazy, queasy stomach, weird feeling in my head.  Yup, I had consumed a large Americano with an EXTRA shot (making that five espresso shots) at 5 PM. 

It's going to be a long night.

I have to say, though, that I'm reminded of why I was hooked on this stuff for so long.  My system stayed a little freaked out until I got home and had dinner (I'm not sure if any studies have been done on whether food can "mop up" caffeine in your system, or just get the stimulation a little stabilized? anecodotally, seems to work for me).  But despite the fact that I only slept 4.5 hours last night, I had no problem focusing on my reading, etc, and I absolutely tore through the routine with my post-dinner workout.  I didn't do anything extra, but I went through it with tons more energy than usual, felt awesome.  Power, power, power!   Screening Lady would be proud!

Except I seem to have overdone it, because now my muscles feel depleted from my overenthusiastic workout, but at the same time I still have the java jitters.  My stomach still feels a little queasy, too.  That might be because I drank tons of water when I got home, even more that usual b/c caffeine makes me especially thirsty, and I also reasoned that it would help flush the stuff out of my system.

I suppose I should go channel this nervous energy into something productive (grants, thesis, etc).  This little episode has made the day much more interesting, but I am still pretty unhappy with the barista, even considered calling to complain, but I decided against it.  Tomorrow will be a struggle.  Whenever I have caffeine I get stimulation "hangover," not only do I stay up extremely late but I find myself wide awake earlier than usual also.  I'm just glad I don't have any exams tomorrow or Friday, because I am anticipating a high degree of zombie-ness.

5 comments:

licketysplit said...

ugh. How annoying that they messed that up?! Hope you're able to get some rest tonight :)

Kristina said...

Cammy,

I'm a huge coffee fan (get beans from an amazing independent coffee house), and like you, I used to be able to drink coffee at 10 pm and then go right to sleep if I needed. I now limit my intake to a cup in the morning, split between decaf and reg (french press). But my partner ONLY drinks decaf because he has a tremor (his hands shake) and caffeine aggravates it. So, I'm sorry that you had a full-throttle experience yesterday. Hopefully you'll be able to get back onto a regular schedule sooner rather than later.

Tiptoe said...

Isn't this the second time or so that they have given you regular versus the decaf you asked for? Or was it a different place?

In any case, I know I feel the effects of being "wired" on regular coffee these days.

It is a shame you have to go through the physical effects when it was their mistake. Hopefully, you'll detox quickly from it and won't be too zombified.

Anonymous said...

Hnads up to still being a complete coffee addict! That and smoking are my two last vices, both I'm cutting down on, but less successfully than the ED. Still love my coffee though. Think I might have more Java than blood....

Lola x

Wrapped up in Life said...

Ooooh, I get hooked on coffee every few months, but it HAS to be decaf. I also cut back to 1-2 ddp's a day.

AND STILL NO SLEEP!