Really? Isn't there some sort of more constructive dialogue we can come up with?
It really seems like there could be some more informative and helpful way to report on this study. It is interesting for psychological reasons if we show that anticipating exercise increases our appetite, sure, but the article is framed as a warning about how promoting physical activity could be dangerous.
How about delving into adaptive reasons for this response, it would be cool to show that just thinking about doing an activity causes appetite-related hormones to spike, makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. Or, if we don't want to get that scientific, how about suggesting that exercise posters and promotion are coupled with literature on healthy snacks to fuel better workouts and promote a more holistic view of health? NY Times, could we please do something with the information besides fueling our society's collective weight phobia?
*Note: I won't deny it, at times during my eating disorder I really would have balked at an extra 6, or 4, or 2, or maybe even 0.4 calories. I do not mean to ridicule anyone who struggles with this, because I know that thinking that way is part of a true illness. I think my exasperation with this article stems largely from the fact that at one point I did limit my Tic-Tacs, tallied my sticks of sugar-free gum, etc. I know how terrible it is to be caught in that cycle, and messages like the headline discussed here are just not helpful in promoting healthy thinking.
2 comments:
thank you..you made me laugh out loud all by myself here in my room at the image of everyone taking in an extra 2-4 calories of Tic-Tacs before getting on the subway. (how catastrophic!!) Although I do understand how real it is for some people to worry about these things. I've been there, counting every half calorie and it's miserable. We don't need articles like these. Thanks for your post.
I used to freak out at the very thought of an extra .000004 calories, but when other people talk about it to me, it just sounds ridiculous. Heck, you probably burn off those "extra six calories" when you sneeze.
Post a Comment