So, not much blogging this week. On Tuesday I realized I had a major midterm on Thursday, which I had previously been unaware of. Oops. Read your syllabus, Cammy! So panicked studying has occupied most of the week. But, there were some events of interest:
1) The neighbor that lives on the other side of my duplex was broken into on Tuesday night, and the intruder beat the hell out of him. This happened around 8, police came, took a statement, left by 9. They found the guy's car and confiscated a pistol from it (according to my neighbor, who told me about it the next day). Then the psycho came BACK around 12:30 and threw rocks through my neighbor's windows. The neighbor packed up and left, and has been stopping in once or twice a day (always accompanied by someone else) but isn't sleeping there.
Which leaves lil ole Cammy to hold down the fort against psychoviolentstalkerguy! Apparently it's not random, the guy had a beef with my neighbor over a girl, but he doesn't seem like a particularly rational individual, so I've still been concerned. Luckily, G. is belongs to a pretty intimidating breed of dog, and anyone who has spent time in the neighborhood has seen me walking him. Also, the policy have been cruising by about every half hour. Anxiety, anyone?
2) I was scheduled to have a bone scan on Tuesday. I drove 30 minutes to my appointment, waited for an hour. They started my scan and the machine froze, waiting another 20 minutes for them to figure out what happened and reboot it. Then, halfway through the procedure, someone from the office came in and told the tech to stop the scan. Apparently since I made the appointment myself (even though I had a referral from my physician!), insurance wouldn't cover it. Apprently they cover the procedure but only honor the referral if the doctor's office calls to set up the appointment. I fail to see the logic, as long as they've got a referral I don't see how it matters who the receptionist talks to on the phone about whether to come in on a Monday or a Tuesday?
Anyway, they stopped the scan, deleted what they'd done, and sent me home. I was much more upset that I probably should have been; I called my momma sobbing and everything. I am a scientist, I value data, and I could SEE my scan on their monitor, yet I wasn't able to get any readout from what they'd measured. I got to glimpse my carbonated vertebrae, without any verdict on how much the density has declined since my last scan (2 years ago). Plus I felt like an idiot, but I had done exactly what my physician told me to do in order to set up the appointment. Argh! My doctor called in a new appointment for me immediately, and I go back in two weeks to be re-radiated.
3) I feel like I'm stagnating in therapy. And honestly I've got so much on my mind right now, I have not been trying much in terms of moving forward with things. I'm doing a good job of staying stable at the current point. The trips over spring break were tough (I did well on the last one but still restricted pretty severely on the trip home), but I've rebounded. I am so consumed with the grad school decision and basically steering the course of my career that I have kind of lost interest in contemplating the ED, it's so much easier to just follow my set patterns without thinking about them. I know I can't let this slip by the wayside, because my world is going to change drastically over the next few months, and I cannot let the disorder throw me into a tailspin, I have too much else on the line.
1 comment:
I've had so many infuriating encounters lately with medical providers and insurance and reading about your experience just added to my disgust. Seriously, sometimes I think they try to make it so senseless/confusing/frustrating so that they won't have to pay/provide decent service. I would have been very upset as well. I'm sorry to hear that recovery has kind of gone by the wayside for you. I totally get how easy it is to slip back when things get stressful, but like you said, it's more than just a matter of gaining weight and changing habits, it's choosing to HAVE a life and a future. Good luck getting back on track!
Post a Comment