Sunday, March 29, 2009

Painful Scene

I try not to make assumptions about people based on their physical appearance.  I swear.  But sometimes you look at someone and just know.  Sometimes it can be attributed to intuition, and sometimes it's just so obvious that the only possible crime is no assumption but denial.

So there is This Girl.  I would guess she is about a year younger than me, just because I have no memory of her from freshman year.  I have seen her around the science side of campus almost daily for a couple of years now.  She started out slender, became skinny, then gaunt, and now she's just scary.  Scary as in I have no idea how she makes it to class in the morning.  Scary as in I want to follow behind her and hold her backpack up so its weight doesn't crush down on her frame any more than necessary.  Scary as in she acts completely oblivious to the fact that she looks like walking death.

Keep in mind that I attend a large, preppyish university in a region where women are still often encouraged to be demure, dependent, and delicate.  In other words, we're a breeding ground for EDs, and it's not uncommon to see gaunt, hypoglycemic people around campus, either haunting the coffee shops, sitting in the library with their sugar free gum and diet Coke at 1:00 in the morning, or puffing along at dawn and dusk in the Skeleton Crews of joggers in their Sofees and sorority t-shirts.  This is part of the landscape, unfortunately.  But This Girl still stands out, I cannot emphasize my disbelief that she's able to get out of bed, much less attend classes, etc.  It's ironic that the human body sometimes surpasses our expectations the most when we are subjecting it to the worst abuse.

Still, at first I tried to tell myself not to assume things.  Maybe she's just thin, maybe she has cancer, maybe I should mind my own disordered business.  Then one day I was not far behind her on our way into the chemistry building, and I overheard her wailing into her phone: "And then my mom made me sit there and eat a muffin!  In front of her! Who does she think she is? I wish she had just beaten me, I wanted to die."  The cancer hypothesis suddenly seemed much less likely.

That was last year, and this semester is the worst I've seen her.   Body invisible within her clothing, face reduced to nothing but eyes and cheekbones.  Usually I see her in/around the lab building, but today G. and I were out walking, enjoying the afternoon sunshine after the past few days of storms, and I saw her crossing the street towards downtown. 

This was possibly the saddest scene I have ever witnessed.  She was trying to exercise.  But she couldn't.  She would take a huge breath, kind of jog/trot for about four or five steps, and then have to quit and go back to walking.  About twenty paces of walking, then another four-step attempt to run, then another failure.  Hand to chest.  Slight pause. Look up at the sky.  Praying?  Cursing? Able to form a thought at all, or just channeling sheer will?  Then back to the another truncated attempt at jogging. The cycle repeated again, and again, and again, until my eyes were too full of tears to watch her anymore.

It reminded me of an experience I had back when I was around 13, at the absolute rock-bottom.  I had always been a good softball player, not to brag, but I was typically the starting first-baseperson. Ever since the age of four, I lived for that game.  But at spring tryouts that year, after a winter living inside my vortex of ED, I wasn't even a shell of the player I had been the previous year.  I managed to get a hit, but couldn't make the run to first base, I literally couldn't.  Tried, and fell, got up, few more steps, and face planted in the dirt again, my legs just couldn't do it.  One of the most humbling experiences I've had, but one of the most important too, because it was a big eye-opener for me, and ended up being a turning point in realizing I truly had a problem.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the hell out of anorexia?  This afternoon, watching that girl's syncopated progress down the street, I was literally shaking with rage and sadness, and that got G. nervous and upset too.  In case you have forgotten, Cammy doesn't cry under normal circumstances.  It's amazing how intense my indignation and frustration become when I am able to observe the disorder from the outside, instead of the distorted view from within.  Fuck you, ED, on behalf of everyone that you have ever deceived and destroyed.

9 comments:

Lisa and Jim said...

Oh, what a terribly sad thing to see. A friend of a friend was clearly, clearly anorexic - my friend said she'd been in treatment before - and I came home one day to find her in my living room, chatting about the marathon she was set to run the next morning.

I don't know if I was angry or just frustrated, but I had to leave the room. I'm not proud of myself, but I didn't know what to do.

I haven't seen her in a year. I don't know what happened to her.

Carrie Arnold said...

I've had a similar experience and yeah- it brings up this whole range of emotions I can hardly explain. Sometimes I want to shake the person and tell them "Stop it! Get help!"

It is painful, and it's hard to remember that they're us (if that makes sense).

Just Eat It! said...

This reminded me of my own This Girl. I sat across from her for months during lunch and sometimes I think staring at her wasted away frame exacerbated behaviors in me. I tried to convince myself that she was just thin, unnaturally so, until she started talking about how fat she thought she was and how she examined the nutritional facts on everything.

She was a competitive soccer player and I was just waiting for the day that she would nail the coffin shut. I have never felt so bad for anyone as I did when I saw her tiny legs unable to carry her twenty feet to the lunch line. As far as I know, she still looks like death and is still consumed by her disorder.

I always feel an overwhelming desire to help these people. I felt like such a hypocrite whilst trying to get my This Girl to eat more when I myself was very much in the throws of my illness.

Tiptoe said...

Indeed, a sad scenario. I've had those moments as well, seeing people you just knew with intuition who had an eating disorder. Beyond the physical frame, I always say the eyes are a give away--just lifeless.

My question for you is would you go up to her? Say happen that you saw her outside, in a class, etc.

I know we live in an era when things seems off limits or we often are bystanders, but perhaps, there is a way you can simply just say you understand. Nothing more beyond that, no mention of the Ed except if she brought it up.

I guess I'm just the type to think how much of a difference a small gesture can make. And even it she totally didn't respond to you, all you can say is you tried.

Bu then again, I can understand if you wouldn't want to get involved at all either.

Lisa and Jim said...

Update - I DO know what happened to "my girl." She went to two inpatient clinics and finally had success. She finished school and is thinking about becoming a nurse.

I feel a little better now.

Christina said...

I always wonder about this too.

I don't know how I would have reacted if someone came up to me during my worst times, but I want to say that along with any denial and shame that would have come up, perhaps a feeling of hope would have crept in, knowing my pain was not invisible and that someone in the world cared?

Would you ever consider talking to her and just maybe giving her some resource information?

Standing in the Rain said...

Sad as it may be, that was powerfully written. It seems we all have our own version of That Girl, and probably, were/are That Girl at some point.

Damn you ANOREXIA. Go to HELL.

Cammy said...

Thanks for the comments, and for the stores about your own "This Girls." Standing in the Rain, you bring up a good point that at some point many of us may have been someone else's This Girl, that's interesting to think about.

As for whether I'd feel comfortable approaching her, I have actually done that before (and the result is one of the closest friendships I've had during college, a story for another day), but I just don't feel like it's right this time. From what I overheard, her family is aware of the situation to at least some degree. I know that when I was at my worst, if anyone tried to interfere I had plenty of choice words for them about leaving me alone and minding their own business. And that went for close friends, much less complete strangers. I feel kind of like a coward, or worse, saying I'd rather not get involved, though...I see her a few times a week, but usually from across a lawn or from a building-length away, and I have no idea what her name is. I'm moving in just a few weeks, though, and I'll always wonder what happened to her...

Lee Lee said...

reading this post just got my heart rate up. i know exactly how you mean here.


it is soooooooo triggering to see sometimes, gets me really tense and preoccupied. i see my "girl" in the cafe studying all the time. and in the library. Hit the nail on the head.