So, did anyone see last week's episode with Tiffany? (If not you can see a preview here, it's episode 83) She was a 24 year old struggling with alcoholism, consuming unbelievable amounts of vodka and other drinks every day.
There was one scene that hit me like a ton of bricks: her parents invite her over to visit one evening, for dinner, talk, board games, etc. She does the bare minimum to be polite, but wants to leave as soon as she can after dinner. She needs to go home and drink. She loves her parents but at the same time switches into being obstinate and abusive when she's pulled out of her "safe-zone" where she can drink her pain away. They are worried about her, they want time with her, and they know what she'll do when she goes home. But she is blind to all of that, all she knows is that she needs to get out of there and get some alcohol.
That's me. I can't count the number of times I've cut time with my family so that I could go exercise, or get home in time for my meager, ritualistic meal. I only go to see my parents once or twice a year, and I can't remember the last time I stayed more than 18 hours at a time with my grandparents. I have missed graduations, promotions, first communions, fun vacations, you name it and I have copped out so it wouldn't disrupt my disordered routines. Even when I lived at home, I quit eating dinner with my family sometime when I was 13 and never had another evening meal with them (except for holidays) for the remaining 5 years that I lived there.
Tiffany had issues with her parents (they were both alcoholics too) and didn't get along with them, I can't even use that excuse. I get along great with my family and I love them with all of my being, but they still get shoved aside, without fail, when the ED beckons.
It cuts me like a knife to think about it, but how painful must it be for them?
Tiffany "needs" her vodka just as much as I "need" my aerobics DVD, and somewhere in there is a reluctant need to need that has been grossly displaced and distorted until it has replaced those that love us--those that we really do need--with illusions of needs that destroy us.
3 comments:
Cammy, this is really powerful. What are you going to do about these realizations?
I came to a similar realization after one of my sessions. So many other college students binge drink 3-4 nights a week as a way to blow off stress/relax. I was definitely guilty of doing the same my freshman year, but once I became more focused on my studies I basically "gave up" that outlet...without ever really finding another way to get rid of my tension and anxiety. I'm pretty convinced that my eating disorder came about in part to serve this purpose. It's a pretty scary/poignant realization, and I think it makes us consider our eating issues in a different light...and it's helpful in trying to explain them to loved ones who don't understand that it's so not just about eating.
Thanks for sharing this.
Elle
It's sad that we get to a point of "replacing" people, fun activities, LIFE for the eating disorder. It is a reminder just how powerful, all consuming an ED can be.
I like Sarah's question. How is your "vodka" going to change?
Btw, that last powerful is beautifully written.
Post a Comment