Monday, March 2, 2009

"The Problem" According to J.

I'm not sure if any readers have noticed, but there has been less mention of J. this semester. We don't have any classes together, so I don't see as much of him, and to be honest I've purposely pulled away a little bit from our extracurricular time as well. That is a long, complicated issue, discussion of which I will save for a rainy day. Anyway, a recent conversation with him gave me something to think about. Maybe everyone will read this and think it's mundane, what's the big deal, but it struck a chord with me so I just wanted to share it.
For set-up, it was a really warm day last week, and I was wearing a t-shirt for the first time in months. J commented on the fact that I was in short sleeves, and I made some disparaging comment about the size of my arms.

J: Come on, Cammy, don't be like that.
Me: Why not? [yes, I am so ultra mature sometimes...]
J: I like your arms better now.
Me: Oh really, why might that be?
J: Because they look like real arms.
Me: I didn't think the ones that I had before were fake.
J: I know you didn't think so, that was the problem.


Kind of makes me wonder what I believe in right now that will reveal itself to also be fake or misguided at some point in the future.

No comments: