Friday, March 20, 2009

Success, for Once

So, I did well, much better than last week.  I still cut lots of calories today, but I was far better on a relative scale.  I had breakfast, for one thing, which made a big difference all on its own, even though it was less than what I would have had at home.  Lunch was very light, but I had a damn good dinner.  It was a lecture/banquet, so I couldn't order my own food (!).  But what they had was good. (I am a scientist, you know, but I am utterly clueless as to how the shrimp gets INSIDE the chicken before they cook it...).  As soon as I tasted the green beans I could tell they were cooked with butter, but I ate them anyway.  

So in a nutshell, yes, ED was still riding on my shoulder all day, but this time it wasn't crushing me.  Anorexia can kiss my ever-growing derriere.

The interview went well.  Love this prof, the school is really nice, and he officially offered me the position.  

That's the good news.  The bad news is that the interview went well, I loved the prof, the school is nice, and he officially offered me the position.  This makes my life very difficult.  I have it narrowed down to three options, but it is going to be so incredibly, indescribably hard to decide.  For once, there is something more urgent to obsess about than my calorie budget.  In a way this is good for me, but I am so uber-stressed, this is going to be probably the most important choice I have made in my career so far, and will pretty much determine the direction of my career in the future.  Eeek.  Eeek.  Eeek.  Stress. Stress. Stress.

I will have all day to contemplate (a nice euphemism for "obsess about") this on the drive home tomorrow, so I should try to sleep now.  Overall: I am keeping with my goals so far, the main challenge will be not to fall into ultra-restriction while sitting in the car all day again tomorrow.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

For just a second, don't think about the future, don't think about the decision you have to make - just give yourself an enormous pat on the back. I'm so, so glad things went well and you're working hard to stick to your goals.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!
You are my hero:)

Kim said...

Congratulations! Like Lisa said, take just a moment to be very proud of yourself :) You're awesome! I know having choice can be overwhelming (with food and all things), but I guarantee that you'll find your way, whatever you choose. Somehow, it will be the "right" direction. It just will.

Tiptoe said...

Fantastic! I'm uber happy you did so well. Enjoy it and just keep in stride with how well everything has gone. Why sabotage it you know?

As for the grad school decision, I know you'll find the best fit for you. It's always best to think about these things with a clear head versus just pure rumination. If you want an ear to be a sounding board, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

You should blog about your thought process in grad school selection! From what I can read in the last 2 weeks of entries, you seem way more excited about the school you just visited...just an observation!

It is so hard to make a decision. I got accepted into 3 grad schools. I ended up making my decision based more on the living situation and where I thought I would be happiest. I sometimes wish I would have chosen one of the other programs (Masters in Clinical Psychology) because I still think I might want to do counseling, but I chose to make my decision based on what would make me holistically happy. I rarely make decisions with that in mind, especially as a high achiever with an ED, but my location has helped me to distance myself from both of those things and, surprise surprise, be happy with other aspects of my life instead of putting my whole identity into being a student. Every time I walk or ride my bike by the water, or spend an afternoon at the beach, I know I made the right decision!