In the early 1960s, there were 100,000 self-identified runners in the nation. By the late 1970s, there were 30 million. It wasn't long before the ranks of psychologists and packs of joggers ran headlong into one another. More and more people were working out, and clinicians noticed that some of them were hurting themselves. What's more, their devotion to marathon training or aerobics was taking on some of the qualities of an addiction: Runners claimed to experience a "natural high," and some were steadily increasing their distances to achieve the same level of satisfaction. Scientists wondered if this had something to do with one of the body's naturally occurring pleasure peptides, the beta-endorphin, which gets released during exercise. (Endorphin is a shortened version of the "endogenous morphine.") Were runners getting "addicted" to endorphins? Sometimes they showed signs of withdrawal—increased anxiety and depressive tendencies—when they missed a visit to the track.
Soon these obsessive joggers were being described as victims of an exercise addiction, though in deference to diagnostic conservatives their affliction was also termed obligatory exercise, overtraining syndrome, or exercise dependence (the "other" ED). Some researchers felt the condition was merely an outgrowth or subset of anorexia nervosa and declared the combination of undereating and overtraining responsible for the Female Athlete Triad, or FAT. (Its three components are disordered nutrition, amenorrhea, and osteoporosis.) And since men were diagnosed as anorexics less often than women, it was further proposed that overtraining might be the masculine version of an eating disorder.
The rest of the article is well-worth reading, (although I don't totally agree with the concept of a "masculine version" of an eating disorder or with their tossing around of terms like "exorexic"). These findings and the idea of exercise addiction in general (not just with runners) are probably notably unsurprising to anyone who has ever dealt with compulsive exercise issues. It honestly can feel like physical withdrawal when you try to slash time or even just change the routine of your workout. Anxiety? Through the roof. After a while on the new routine, you get "weaned" and the symptoms abate (even if you still want to work out, the anxiety symptoms aren't as intense), but at the start it's just so tempting to give in, hit the workout, get your endorphins and get along with your day feeling calmer and saner (I am NOT implying people with EDs are insane, just describing a subjective feeling about oneself from my experience), even though you've just engaged in the behaviors that are supposedly harming you. Which reinforces the feeling that you "need" them, of course.
I've always accepted that eating disorders involve hereditary factors, and would even if it weren't for the convenient anecdote that my family tree's branches almost touch the ground because they're so heavy with alcoholics, EDers, and anxiety disorders. They don't go into this much in the article, but an endorphin addiction model also lends support to the theory that some people have more inborn genetic susceptibility, due to different neurochemical wiring, relative receptor densities and types, etc.
Obviously, I'm speaking largely from my own experiences here. Please chime in with comments if you've dealt with this also, though, always interested to hear how overexercise has developed and (hopefully) been overcome by different people.
Slate has a couple of other fitness-related articles of interest:
-Profile of a "fitness model" that does ads for sporting goods, etc. I liked this because they mentioned that they have to have separate fitness models because the "regular" models are too thin and don't look healthy and fit (or even "recognizably human", according to the author) enough to sell sportswear. I also like that they don't mention her weight, her diet, etc.
-Article of how people in countries outside of the U.S. tend to get their exercise, is interesting to see how it's approached in different cultures and societies.
I've always accepted that eating disorders involve hereditary factors, and would even if it weren't for the convenient anecdote that my family tree's branches almost touch the ground because they're so heavy with alcoholics, EDers, and anxiety disorders. They don't go into this much in the article, but an endorphin addiction model also lends support to the theory that some people have more inborn genetic susceptibility, due to different neurochemical wiring, relative receptor densities and types, etc.
Obviously, I'm speaking largely from my own experiences here. Please chime in with comments if you've dealt with this also, though, always interested to hear how overexercise has developed and (hopefully) been overcome by different people.
Slate has a couple of other fitness-related articles of interest:
-Profile of a "fitness model" that does ads for sporting goods, etc. I liked this because they mentioned that they have to have separate fitness models because the "regular" models are too thin and don't look healthy and fit (or even "recognizably human", according to the author) enough to sell sportswear. I also like that they don't mention her weight, her diet, etc.
-Article of how people in countries outside of the U.S. tend to get their exercise, is interesting to see how it's approached in different cultures and societies.
6 comments:
I started running for the endorphins and to help relieve stress and to just really help me be able to get out all the ugly things in my head that were distracting me so I could go on with my life, etc....then it became totally an ED thing. I HATE HATE HATE how ED ruined something so great for me...
xoxo
stay strong babe!!!!
-Lisa
My last post really deals with this issue.
I run for a D1 SEC university, and I'm good at it.
But it's hard to draw the line at where my love for running ends and where the ED begins.
I also have a history of addiction in my family.
The family tree is pretty much flooding with alcoholics and such.
Anyway, this is a good post. Thanks for it :)
<3 Haley
Really great post! I've struggled with this a lot, and still do. There actually isn't a huge history of addictions or anxiety in my family, although I'm wondering if there were some EDs and anxiety issues that simply went undiagnosed and hence were never dealt with properly.
I'm pretty sure you know where I stand on this issue, as I'm in your boat (and fighting with you to be the one rowing.) I 100 percent believe it's an addiction that is completely misunderstood, as it's viewed as virtuous and healthy to exercise, so no one generally discourages you as they would if you were a crackhead or something.
It's physical, it's mental and it's all-encompassing. I still struggle with this myself--a lot--even though my activity wouldn't be considered excessive for a person at a healthy weight. That's what I use to justify it, even though I know that's crap. The only way for me to possibly beat this thing would be to give it up cold turkey--not even a sit-up. As soon as I get a little bit of freedom with it, I get hooked again. It's like one cigarette to someone trying to quit--not helpful. But again, it's actually an encouraged behavior (exercise) instead of something with a stigma attached.
Thanks for posting...I feel like because of our ravaged minds (by ED) we are even more susceptible to this.
Well you've already heard my story of exercise addiction so I won't waste space recapping but let me just say I so totally get this! And this: "the convenient anecdote that my family tree's branches almost touch the ground because they're so heavy with alcoholics, EDers, and anxiety disorders." is my family too! Very apt phrasing! Thanks too for all the links - can't wait to read them all. Thank you so much for sharing a part of your story too - it's nice to know I'm not alone!
Post a Comment