Monday, January 10, 2011

Miscellaneous Endorsements

I feel like lately my postings have been one litany of self-pity and muddlement after another.  So, in a break from our regularly scheduled programming, just some random notes to remind everyone (and myself) that I'm a real person outside of the ED quagmire.

-My major professor and I are in the last stages of preparing a manuscript to submit, and today we were both supposed to be working on the *final* set of revisions our respective sections, to be finished TODAY.  I didn't leave my chair for an entire 4 hour stretch because I was so engrossed in it, and, as you might imagine, it is REALLY hard to get my exercise-addicted ass glued in one place that long. I happen to think that my work is pretty damn awesome, though, and it sucks me in. When I finally took a break and checked into Facebook to see if I'd gotten any feedback on a posting, I saw that my adviser had been playing Farmville all morning while I was writing feverishly to, I thought, keep up with the work he was doing.  Really???  *insert whip cracking noise here*

-I started the series 'Mad Men' this weekend and am TOTALLY hooked. I picked it up just on a whim when the seasons were on sale for $10 each after Thanksgiving. To be quite honest, I have little patience for the domesticity and materialism that seem to be so important to the characters, but it's written in a way that acknowledges and validates that aversion in a subtle and pleasingly cynical way, if that makes sense at all.  The characters are extremely well done, and the stories are told very well.  So, it wins my endorsement!

-I keep a space heater in my room to create a more Cammy-friendly climate envelope during the winter, and the new kitten has decided that makes me the most awesome person in the house. He pretty much stays in my room all the time now.  I'm definitely a dog person, but this specific cat is sooo sweet. He also wins my endorsement.

-Other things that I endorse: fuzzy socks, white fudge Oreos, Holst's orchestral suite 'The Planets,' the smell of old books, the Victoria's Secret after-Christmas sale that seems to go on for weeks, and the pleasure of blasting the heat in a car in the winter to create a moving sauna while passing through a snowy landscape.

I hope everyone's week is off to a good start, love y'all.

6 comments:

I Hate to Weight said...

hooray for steamy cars. my heat is a little on the fritz, and i can't give up my car long enough to get it fixed right now. sad

i adore my space heater. and hot baths. and summer.

is it spring yet?

Amy said...

xo

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud at the story about your research advisor. I certainly remember the days of marathon sessions in the computer labs - and can only imagine how shocked I'd have been to discover my advisor wasn't working, but playing on facebook!

Anonymous said...

Manuscript, hooray!!!! Congratulations!! Good luck with the final edits and submission. I will send positive thoughts about it to your reviewers, whoever they might be!

Advisors... Don't even get me started! Seriously. Just know that Farmville could be something else entirely that affects your entire career and wellbeing a lot more. And we're not talking law-breaking things or anything, just really douchebaggy things.

I fully endorse all the things you endorse in the last part as well. Especially the heat in the car. :o)

Amanda @ HopeHasAPlace said...

I also love Mad Men, fuzzy socks, and old books... but now I'm curious about white fudge oreos, that orchestral suite, and the Victoria's Secret sale...

CG said...

hey cams, sounds like the masters degree (or is it PhD?) is coming along...not sure about the farmville guy though, haha. I really hope this can be a more recovery focused year for you, that you gain your weight back and focus on Match and your animal science. Love, CG