Doctor: "Wow, what great vitals! Whatever you're doing, keep it up! Hahaha."
Yep, I'm going to write a book soon on the life enhancing properties of compulsive overexercise, poorly spaced/unbalanced meals, and periodic anxiety attacks. Hahaha. Sigh.
6 comments:
Isn't it interesting what we put our bodies through, and yet it is so resiliant. At times that makes me feel like I'm not "sick" enough to deserve treatment, and often it isn't sick enough to get the help that is needed. You are so right. Men are babies when they aren't feeling well!!!:)
It does drive me crazy hearing what well-intentioned health care providers say to their patients!While in some ways,it's a lose-lose situation for providers--if you say "great job" that may translate into "your a fat pig" by an EDz mind. And so on. But so often the comments are blatantly inappropriate. Like "great, you're getting your period now!" when the patient is devastated that it has returned.
I have to admit Cammy, and I've known you awhile, but it seems like you run into the most incompetent, "dumbass" doctors in regards to EDs and basic check ups, no offense really. I say this laughingly. They just seem to say the stupidest things. I know it's not just you as it happens everywhere. Gosh, it drives me batty!
At my last appt., my dr. actually took my bp after the nurse did because it was on the high side and that did not seem normal. How many drs would have really done that? and I should add she did have my history.
Far out! I'm with Tiptoe! Doctors say the craziest things.
I liked seeing my cardiologist last year because he was the ONLY person (doctor) that listened to, "My bp is normally low, so when its normal, that is unusual" and he also agreed that it would be unusual but that most doctors won't pay attention to it! It was a good sign that my body was under pressure but doctors just see the damn number and tick the boxes, stupid numbers! xo
With the exception of my doctor in IP and my (dietician/therapists at the time), I have never had a professional tell me my vitals were bad in any way.
Even my weight when ridiculously low was only noted on the chart and greeted with, "Do you eat a healthy diet and exercise?" My signs are always good, but that doesn't make me healthy. They don't get it.
Be careful not to twist that around and use it as justification for continuing down the way of self-destruction. You know this :)
My recent favourite comment is - 'you're looking so much better'. Which to anyone else it would be a huge compliment. To me it just says 'you've put on weight'. I do feel sorry for them though, how can they win?
Post a Comment