So, not one but TWO publications submitted this week, everything for both papers was in by Wednesday. Holy carpal tunnel it has been a little intense getting all that finished up and sent in, but it's such a relief now! Just have to cross my fingers that reviewers will be kind.
My mood, self-esteem, and general satisfaction with life go up exponentially when I have a job to do and feel like I've actually accomplished something. Trouble starts (and ED is more likely to encroach) when I have too much free time and feel like a waste of oxygen. So I've had a lot of work recently, but it made me totally happy, has been a good week.
Speaking of writing, I don't think I've really mentioned before that I used to write fiction quite a bit. I've had to put that aside (for the most part) in recent years, although there is about 1/3 of a novel that has been gathering digital dust on my hard drive ever since the summer after my sophomore year of undergrad. Anyway, I'm not in classes this year, have wrapped up the side papers I intended to write, and am waiting for all of my field data to be collected before I can really dive into writing that up, so I have a bit of time to play around with just writing for fun again. I've had a new idea for a stab at a novel and have had a lot of fun developing that over the past few days. There probably isn't a point in sharing this, and sometimes I feel silly for spending time on other writing when I know that the most likely scenario is that it is no good and will never be seen by anyone...oh well. (note that is NOT a criticism of fiction writers, it is a criticism of my prospects of being a legit fiction writer).
Because this is my research semester and I'm living at home between field sessions to save on rent, I haven't been on a college campus since sometime in early November. Yesterday I was on campus at a nearby university (for reasons to be explained in the next post), and within the first 5 minutes of being there I came across a girl making herself vomit in the bathroom. Totally sad and very awkward. She came out of the stall with her knuckles bleeding and everything. What do you say? Besides that I wish with everything that EDs would just go the fuck away and let us lead happy and healthy lives.
As for me, trucking along with food, exercise still kicking my ass. An update I could basically cut and paste from all entries over the past 6 months or so. Decided against the new therapist, for (honestly!) mostly logistical reasons, but may look into seeing someone when I return to school in the fall. Even if I started seeing someone now, it would be infrequent and erratic due to my travel schedule.
In other news: BRRRR. This is the farthest north I've been for a winter in over a decade...and some people would claim I'm not actually that far north. Go away, winter!
Hope everyone has a fantabulous weekend, take care.
5 comments:
Well done on writing two publications! THat's amazing! I know that I'm due to have one published over here as a joint paper but I haven't heard anything for ages, meh. My staff account got cancelled so that could be part of the problem :P. But seriously! That's a huge effort and well done.
I'm sorry that exercise still is kicking yr arse and all that extra exercise in just the kicking alone, but like you said re the girl in the bathroom, i with the ed would go away and just leave you alone.
Thinking of you!
I'm happy to hear you so much happier. It's weird how a few days of productivity can make you feel good about life again, huh? That's awesome about your publications. Are you submitted or were they invited?
What is the premise of your novel?
I agree 100 percent about productivity being a huge morale booster. When I have down time at work, it's not a good thing. I might stress when I'm busy but it just makes me productive, which makes me happy.
Anyway, I often feeling writing just to write is a waste of time as well, but why does everything have to have an end result? If you like doing it (and it's healthy) that's reason enough. As for exercise, you know the deal...why not take at least an hour a day to sit and write instead of exercise? It's totally a matter of "can't" or "won't" and it might suck at first, but look for a "new" productive that isn't self-destructive ;)
I'm trying this myself, by the way, so maybe I'm just speaking out of my ass. Stay warm! It's 8 degrees here.
I am exactly the same. When i was in college- all my relapses occured during a break. When I don't work now- things easily slide.
You can do this, you've been doing so well!! screw ED- i wish i could just make him dissappear for all of us
xoxo
-Lisa
oh, so sad about the girl in the bathroom.
May we all heal and move forward.
Post a Comment