So, January, we meet again. Damn. This time of year has historically been really tough for me. My poor tired neurotransmitters need more sunlight, there is the post-holiday letdown, there's something in the water, I don't know, but the first two or three months of the year usually herald a period of alternating mainly between anxiety, depression, and just plan frustration and hopelessness. Nice, huh? Every time I've bottomed out with the ED, it's happened around February (not to imply that I bottom out *every* February, though).
Anyway, I've felt that creeping in on me over the past 4 days or so. I will get in the car to drive somewhere and find myself crying for no identifiable reason. Waking up in the morning feels like a big weight on my chest, and it's hard to get up even after I've been lying awake since the earliest hours of the morning. I slip into a state of definite detachment when I amp up my already overdone workouts, completely dissociated from pain and/or logic about what I'm probably doing to my joints, heart, etc. I do friendly banter with my family like the golden daughter I'm supposed to be. I do my work and fire back responses, drafts, and documents to my adviser as fast as possible, to be the assiduous and stable worker that I'm supposed to be. I tap out witty, cheerful text messages to my M. to be the entertaining, confident, no worries girlfriend that I want to be . . . when I actually feel like my head is about to explode from loneliness because I can't tell him what's wrong. Because I don't know what's wrong. I want desperately to talk to someone, to tell them that *something is not right*, just to get it off my chest....but I can't figure it out myself, much less articulate it, which makes for very ineffective reaching out habits, as you might imagine. But every time I paint on a big fake smile, it feels like it comes closer and closer to choking me.
I think part of what has me so stressed is thinking about moving back to my university town in a few months. Now I'm *not* worried about the moving back out on my own part. That part I can't wait for. The past 6 months have been really challenging because, after 5 years of living solo, I was really set in my ways and used to having my own space. The all of the sudden I'm sharing a kitchen with 4 other people and a bathroom with my two teenage brothers. Culture shock...
The issue is more of one to getting onto a schedule that includes and hinges on other people. Over the past few months, I've been working entirely from home in between trips to my field site. Which means I've totally dictated my own schedule and routines. Which would be nice, if it weren't a perfect opportunity to structure my day around exercise and food rituals. So the thought of going back to active engagement at my university, where there are places I'm expected to be at times I may not be able to choose, is pretty stressful. I've handled it before and I'll handle it again, but the anticipation of that loss of freedom is always a big downer. I can feel the dread building in my chest whenever I think about it, even though in reality I'm not free now. So many nights I go to bed wishing I had spent my day differently, but feeling completely powerless to change anything.
Also, my adviser has been a bit distant any way less friendly than usual this week. He's under an enormous amount of stress due to some important professional milestones coming up, but I am rarely able to view it that objectively. I just assume that any email with a tone that is less than overtly positive means he's unhappy with me. And one of the things MOST likely to cause me an anxiety attack is thinking that someone is mad at me or unhappy with me for something, so it has bee a really rough week in that regard.
It occurred to me today that this is the first winter in 5 years that I have not been in therapy, which could explain my bout of "I need someone to talk to but don't know how to ask for it." Before, there was someone that was paid to sit their ass in a chair and listen to my braindump every week. Now I don't have that, and it's useless to try to find a new therapist right now when I'm planning to move in about 4 months.
It's not like I have no one to talk to. I do, indeed, have friends. Good ones. They don't live nearby, but that doesn't matter as much in the era of the reign of Facebook. I have an amazingly insightful and caring boyfriend that really wants to be there for me. I have a solid family that loves me no matter what. I have the coolest dog EVER, and he happens to be both an excellent listener and a hopeless clown that can always get me to laugh. But I'm still so heart-numbingly lonely right now, and I don't know why.
I'm really starting to drag, past my bedtime, please excuse any incoherence in this post.
Not really sure of the graceful, natural way to wrap this up. I know that this is a seasonal pattern for me and a lot of it will be solved just with time, but damn if it's not rough while it lasts.
I know posting song lyrics is kind of cliche, but the refrain from Taylor Swift's song "Tied Together with a Smile" sort of hits home for me right now:
Hold on baby you're losing it
The water's high, and you're jumping in to it
And letting go, and no one knows
That you cry, but you don't tell anyone
That you might not be the golden one
And you're tied together with a smile, but you're coming undone . . .
7 comments:
I think you need to click "copy" for some of the sentiments in this post and share them with M. It's important in a relationship to be honest with the other person about your feelings. Even if you don't know exactly WHY you feel the way you feel, they still want to know where you're at. I told D last week that I was down (I still am) and he was gentler with me--used less sarcasm, planned a movie date that I would like, etc., and it was nice. That's why you're M is in a relationship--to have someone wonderful to know deeply and take care of when necessary. So, those are my suggestions. Also, give yourself a ridiculously large hug from me in the form of a cup of coffee :) I'm sorry you are down and I'm sorry there are some elements that seem hard to fix/work on. I like you just the way you are and you don't have to smile.
I just want to cuddle you! Not really say much but just sit with you and BE with you. Just be...
I understand a lot of those feelings, I have no insights or wisdom.... i describe that loneliness as grey days and they suck but they do pass.
Also, maybe its not IDEAL to find a therapist to talk to, but maybe its still worth it! You don't necessarily have to go into massive detail or whatever, but even just having that person to listen to you sounds like it COULD be useful! SOmetimes that's all therapy needs to be about...
*cuddles*
Love Telly xo
January, February, and sometimes March are always tough for me as well. I'm not sure what sets it off for me but there is always something to make these months impossible. What makes it worse is that I always latch onto something else entirely as an outlet for the depression (I cried on the subway this morning over an episode of a tv show. Really.).
The best thing I've found to do is accept the fact that these months are tough and arm myself with every coping tool I have. My best friend knows to be on call for when I'm feeling crazy and need to vent, I make tons of upbeat playlists and try to stay away from sad music, I push myself to make plans with friends or to do volunteer work and try to pack my schedule as much as possible.
Give yourself a break and take things slow. Above all, make sure you have someone to talk to when things get really dark. Spring will come soon!
I know it's hard, but think about how going back to school means freedom from being tied down so heavily with patterns and routines!
Professors are notoriously poor communicators, and I've seen them get kinda nutty when it's tenure time or grant submission time (or promotion from assoc to full time). Do not take any of it personally (harder to do than say), because my bets are that your PI is so glad to have such a hard worker that he will leave you alone as long as you do the work you've been doing, because you doing work helps him out in the long run... That being said, it's important to communicate your needs to him, especially as they pertain to science. They'll seriously pile on the work until you are forced to say no, even if saying no goes against every single fiber of your being.
Best advice? Keep writing. Keep talking. Start talking, if that's the case. I agree with Sarah!!
And, eat your food. :)
i agree with everyone else and add one thing -- are you eating enough? i get very low, depressed and miserable when i don't get enough nutrition
as others said, it can help to just accept where you're at. you are whom you are and feel what you feel
i also agree that it's absolutely fine to clue Match in. it's better all around, i think.
AND four months is enough time to spend with a therapist. having someone objective to talk to is so helpful
take care!
I know what it's like to feel alone even when you're surrounded by people :/ It's the worst feeling.. I'm sorry you're dealing with that.
Also, this time of year is definitely hard. It seems like everyone is more weight-conscious than ever before. It definitely doesn't make things any easier.
I agree that you should tell your boyfriend how you're feeling in terms of defeating the ED. I'm assuming he knows you have one?
Finally, make sure that you're getting adequate nutrition cuz that will definitely make things seem a little less heavy on you. You can do it!
p.s. Maybe it's a good thing that you're leaving this lifestyle you've adapted to. Change can be good. It's scary, yea. And I know that our EDs hate change, but that's why we've gotta go through with it. Uncomfortable situations are necessary sometimes! We've gotta learn to be flexible and allow ourselves to live a little! I hope things are looking better
<3 Haley
I know this is a tough time of year for you. It is for me as well. I echo what everyone else has said, especially in talking to M.
I'm also wondering if you could e-mail H. I've actually done this in the past wit my former therapists even if I never got a response back. C. did write me when I lost Baxter which was really touching for me. I think H. would be happy to hear from you and may give you some feedback or at least an ear for you.
Post a Comment