I know it sounds like I totally got suckered in, the possibility of which has definitely crossed my mind, but I honestly don't think that's the case.
So enough of all that gooshy relationship stuff, SORRY! ED-wise, I was very unwise last week, and continued my slippage leading up to the trip. I can't explain why, no clue. While I was with him I did decently, especially considering I was away from exercise routines. Although I definitely had a few meals where I filled in calories I didn't want to eat with alcohol...I only drink on special occasions out, but am going to have to stay conscious of how much I am starting to like the buzz, considering my family history and my own predilection to forming habits. But anyway, I was NOT drunk all week, just for the record! Cammy stayed ladylike, I promise. ;)
So yesterday was Tomorrow, according to my goal of beating Tomorrow Syndrome and really starting to get back on track after the trip, instead of finding another reason to put it off.
And I think I did ok. Thanks so much for all the supportive comments, y'all are amazing. As far as behaviors, yesterday I had less food and more exercise than the baseline I know I need to return to (even that baseline is too much exercise, I know, but this is going to have to be stepwise for me), but it was a significant improvement over how I was treating myself a week ago, and I'm on track to continue the positive trend today. Trying to just think about it one day at a time right now, picking one part to do better than yesterday, then hang onto that and add a new improvement tomorrow, etc.
One last item, one of the concerns I expressed in an earlier post was that M would like me better thinner. He was seriously bent on buttering me up on this trip, so of course I got showered in compliments, but never based on my size (meaning it was things like "you look beautiful" not "you look thin and beautiful"). I had told him before that I'd dropped weight on my trip, so he knew to expect that. I refuse to use numbers or anything on here, but just so you have an idea, I'm at my lowest weight since before I graduated from college (before I met M) BUT am still much healthier than I was for the bulk of the time I was in college. This has not been a catastrophic relapse, just a very significant slip.
On the first night I just plain asked him if he'd have noticed the weight loss if I hadn't told him, and he obviously felt awkward and on the spot. I could tell he wanted very badly to not say the wrong thing. Finally he just said "I honestly don't know. I might have just thought I remembered you a bit wrong?" And then he thought for a while and added "But I think you overestimate how much I'll notice. When I see you I don't think 'She's thinner' or 'she's bigger', I think 'she's my Cammy' and that's all that matters."
We had a similar conversation on the phone last night, when I told him I was trying to get back on track with eating, etc but was going to be nervous if I'd put weight back on the next time I see him. Again, he assured me that it made no difference to him and he probably wouldn't even notice. I tend to believe him, because I gained a few pounds the first 9 months or so of our dating and he seemed genuinely surprised the first time I mentioned it to him.
I think one of my main issues, which is behind both the turmoil over the relationship and the ED slippage, is just that I'm incredibly uncomfortable dealing with the fact that someone could care about me unconditionally, intimately, knowing that my little toes are crooked and my hair cowlicks when I wake up and that I can't whistle very well and oh yeah I have an eating disorder and some serious issues with connecting with people. What the hell is wrong with this guy, and when will he snap out of it and drop me like a hot potato? Still not sure, but starting to move towards believing it's not too good to be true, as opposed to disconnecting from it to try to protect myself.
So this is getting long and rambly and I sank into more gooshy relationship stuff, apologies. In a nutshell, I feel like my head is in a MUCH better place this week, and I'm going to work hard to stay with it.
10 comments:
you learn from each experience. use the past to guide you towards a brighter and healthier tomorrow.
heres to a new week!!
thinking of you
hope you have a splendid sunday, dear
love, becca
http://fromheretothereinpurple.blogspot.com
I completely understand your concerns about Match. For a looong time, I attempted to shelter myself in my relationship with my guy by pushing him away, isolating myself, etc. I was afraid that he'd leave me, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get hurt in the process. Of course, I did a lot more damage by trying to stay distant.
Once my ed started up, I had the same fears about him liking me better at a certain size... but my guy is the same as Match---he genuinely doesn't seem to notice the weight! He loves me for ME, unconditionally. That scares me and still surprises me (I still wonder, "Wouldn't he rather have a skinnier girlfriend?"), but I'm also very thankful for it. Just being with him has improved my body image.
While I can't give you relationship advice since I don't fully know your situation... Match sounds like a fantastic guy. Both of you are blessed to have each other.
For what it's worth... I'm still working out my own issues, but my guy and I will be engaged soon, and married next year.
First off, glad to hear you are getting back on track. :-)
I think it is good that you and Match spent some days together and kind of rehashed the situation a bay. Both of you are dealing with changes in your life, so it is important to re-evaluate things after some time. I know it is hard for you to truly realize a guy likes you for you, baggage and all, but it is the truth. Otherwise, Match would not say so otherwise.
As for what guys notice, I think many don't notice as much as we think at all. After all, we are our own worst critic.
Anyway, wow, can't believe it is almost your first anniversary! Time has flown by!
Don't beat yourself up! You really do get something out of every experience whether that experience was positive or negaitve.
You're going to make it!!
hang in there
-Lisa
I'm glad you're feeling better. I think my boyfriend and I are going through something similar at the moment- it terrifies me how much I care about him when I let myself. And I too find it impossible to believe that he could actually like me for myself- but bizarrely, it seems he does, so much so that he's willing to put up with all my issues and screwiness.
Anyway, well done for all you've acheived last week and good luck for the coming week. Keep fighting!
I'm glad you guys talked. I had a feeling there was a lot of fear underlying some things, and it sounds like he cares so much about you. No matter what happens in any relationship, I think talking about stuff is so fulfilling. I also think it's great that he sees you as you. Larry is the same way. He doesn't see me as a weight; he sees me as Kim. That is liberating. I hope you can get back on track with ed stuff soon. Thinking of you.
"When I see you I don't think 'She's thinner' or 'she's bigger', I think 'she's my Cammy' and that's all that matters."
... that's some powerful stuff.
I'm thinking about you.
Love hearing about the Match relationship. Keep us posted in the future! Sounds like he really loves you!
Oh yes. I don't date. At all. Which has everything to do with my own issues. I'm also oblivious to guys having crushes on me. But it seems to happen a lot (maybe it just seems like it because I don't want it). When someone tells me about another guy with a crush on me, I'm always bewildered. "Why would he like me? I'm lame and all kinds of stupid. There is nothing here to like."
I am so proud of you! This is exactly what I was trying to convey in the last comment I left regarding WHY you might want to end things. It takes A LOT of courage to face those fears and admit to then, instead of just running! Match doesn't love you because of your pant size! He loves you for your spirit, soul, thoughts, feelings, personality, character, ideas etc. Your willingness to be honest with yourself is what will carry you forward in life. Never lie to yourself. You can't run from yourself, your thoughts, your fears etc. Face them, and overcome them! Believe in yourself. I know you are going to kick ED in the ass!
XO
Barbara
Post a Comment