Holy patellar luxation, my knees are awful this week. They literally feel like they're coming unhinged, especially the tendons on the lateral sides. Prescription doses of naproxen aren't touching it, even just laying in bed at night is painful. Sometimes the right one is worse (most often), sometimes it's the left, and today my left ankle is flaring up too. I am 23 f*ing years old, my joints have to last me for more than a few more decades. I am SO frustrated.
The obvious questions:
"Cammy, have you had them looked at by a doctor?"
No, because I know they'll probably just tell me to take time off exercise, and I hate paying people to state the obvious to me. Too many "you're too thin so have a cheezburger" lectures over the years have jaded me.
"Since, with your vast omnipotence, you know the professionals will tell you to lay off the workouts, have you done that? Have you decreased your activity by even one minute any day this week?"
Negatory.
"Do you think this is a logical/intelligent/commendable course of action?"
Of course not.
"Have you thought about the fact that if you tear/break something this month, it will ruin your trip next month and be catastrophic for your thesis research?"
Yes, that has been in the back of my mind nonstop.
Baaaaaaaaaaah vent.
I would imagine this is a similar situation to a smoker that is coughing and hacking and struggling on staircases, dreading the big C word every day, but still doesn't feel like she has a choice but to light up and puff. I've seen people smoking through trach tubes in their wheelchairs. Old habits die hard, and sometimes they take you with them.
Not, of course, that I'm going to die from having shot knees. But my lifestyle (yes, professional and not just obsessional) is dependent on being active and mobile, and I am so frustrated that I am screwing up my future a little bit more each day in this present, but still just can't get it under control.
8 comments:
i worry about you. i hope that your aching joints is something you'll at the very least bring up with your T?
i know this is hard but i absolutely believe you can work on your over-exercise issues. know why? because you're strong and brave.
hang in there. xo
Hey cammy - really hope the pain doesn't last.
I get your smoker analogy. Could you try something like switching to lower nicotine cigarettes and switch one or two high impact activities to swimming to be kind to those joints?
i suppose this could be a sign to stop exercising. while not exercising may cause your anxiety to escalate, try to ride through it. think abt yr future, better suffer now than later right?.
all the best!
Hey hun,
I have had injuries galore in my lifetime (go trampolining, gymnastics and hyperlaxity in my joints!) but a few years ago in the height of my overexercising with the eating disorder, i managed to partially tear my medial cruicate ligament, OUCH! But I still kept walking etc.
Anyway, I didn't bother going to a doctor because it was a soft tissue injury (I was certain of that) and didn't want the lectures like yourself. I DID however, go to a good sport physiotherapist who worked wonders! I didn't adhere to ALL his recommendations on excerise, but tried as best I could. He also gave me some alternate exercises to take the weight off my injuries in the interim (and by golly they were good exercises)... so I guess the point is, I understand a) the pain (i'm on narcotics for pain) and b) maybe trial a physio or similiar?? At least if they're working on treating the joints and aware of the need to excerise, they may be able to assist with a middle ground??
Of course its better to have a rest, but its not necessarily realistic given the ed... but I think you DO need to ensure that you get appropriate treatment too because like Brie, I believe you can work on both issues together.
Hang in there and sending positive vibes your way xo
Oh cam, this is serious.
Why do you think it is that you have been able to make progress with the eating, but not the exercise? Do you think you might somehow subconsciously think the overexercise is not as dangerous as the undereating? Can Match help at all with assisting you to normalize exercise levels? Can you let him know you need help? xoxo
Hey Sweetie!
I realize this may not be the most useful of advice, but as a Nutrition/Supplement Consultant I have A LOT of experience in the area-as well as being a fitness obsessed girl! Try a product called ZYFLAMMEND by New Chapter. It helps with inflammation (from Cancer, Diabetes, RA, Arthiritis, muscle pain etc). It is all natural and as even been backed by various Cancer Hospitals, Top Doctors etc. All healthy for you!
It works wonders for ligament pain.
Also, start taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin and MSM supplement. It helps build up the collegen, repair, reinforce and strengthen. MSM is a natural anti inflammatory (7th most abundant sulfer in our bodies). Glucosamine/Chondroitin are already in our joints etc, so taking a supplement is a CUMALITIVE EFFECT! It takes about 6months to kick in and it is highly preventative. Most athletes, fitness lovers, runners etc are on it!
You can usually find these together in a product like 'Triflex' form gnc or something. Omega 3's and hyaluronic acid help so much (inflammation and lubrication of joints etc)
hi love,
you can do this. you can take charge and put your health and body first. youre so worth it. and youre a rock star <3
This is why people go to higher levels of treatment--because they are destroying their bodies and cannot get their behaviors under control and need someone to force them to stop doing something that could permanently harm them. I really worry about you and I wish you would consider something like this. I know you are doing your very best but mobility is very, VERY important and I don't want you to have regrets in your future. Hugs to you...
Post a Comment