Anyway, they x-rayed my knees and ankles. That didn't show soft tissue, obviously, so I didn't learn anything about the state of my cartilage, but the doc didn't seem concerned about that when I asked. After being poked and palpated and rotated for a while, he told me that I have iliotibial band syndrome (aka "runner's knee") in one leg and patellar tendinitis (aka "jumper's knee") in the other one. My, aren't I versatile.
So it looks like they won't have to amputate. The dx wasn't the most joyful news ever, but it's a relief to know that I'm not walking around with a partially torn ACL or something BUT to also be validated that the pain is real and has an actual cause. I mentioned my AN history but he didn't ask any questions about my current exercise and even said that I shouldn't have to feel like I have to give up running forever. I think he lacks ED experience, however, I would have loved to see C's face when he was telling me about how great it would be for me to run again once the tendons are calmed down....lol.
He told me to take Aleve as an anti-inflammatory and to do some specific stretching and strengthening exercises. Wait, the cure is to work out? That I can do....
Ok I jest, the movements aren't anything intense and won't tax my daily energy balance, I assure you.
Anyway, that's the news on that front.
4 comments:
I've been told I have "runner's knee" and "jumper's knee" before (all from running) too. I did heal.... by taking about 3 to 4 months off of running and doing physical therapy to strengthen certain muscles and stretch others. and then... i started running again... and it was fine... until I increased mileage too quickly and stopped resting... and then i injured myself all over again. So..... TAKE IT EASY!!!!! It's the suckiest thing, but you really should refrain from exercise that'll aggravate it.
Glad you went to the doc, though!
Hey Cammy,
I want to tell you, your blog is such a good one. I love it, and I have meant to tell you so many times. Similar to you, I have a history of compulsive over-exercise. I spent 4 months last year recovering from knee injury. I had weak gluteals and hip adductors/abductors and so my knee cap tracked badly and became inflamed.
This year I started a weight training program with core strengthening, lunges etc. PLUS.. I started to take two days OFF from exercise completely every week.
I thought it would be impossible and I'd be crazy/angry/depressed. I'm not though. I love my rest days now. I sleep in and spend time with my friends.
I do the weights REALLY hard the day before I rest and so I feel like I need to recover.
It seemed unthinkable that I could do this, but it quickly became my routine, my running is SO much better and my knees are absolutely pain-free.
I really do know how hard it is to be inactive when you feel compelled to exercise. I'm not saying you should do what I do. I'm just so sorry that you're injured, because it is unbearable and hateful.
Thanks again for your blog, and good luck.
Anne
This whole post was hilarious! Take care of yourself :( poor little knees!
Take care sweetie. I had that IT band syndrome once, and to heal it by rolling my thigh (that's where the pain was for me, as I recall) over a foam roller. It was effective for me in healing it, however the process of using the foam roller was excruciatingly painful!! I think you can grow to like it, though, as long as you see it as a challenge. :) It's also the road to getting better.
Post a Comment