Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bullet Points of the Day

Well hello my loves. I am totally beat tonight, so this will got in brief note form:

-It is after 9 PM and I have not exercised at ALL today. I drove up yesterday to drop G at my parent's house, then had to leave at 5 AM to make some business meetings that took all day, and had a 5 hour drive home.

-I violated all of my usual instincts/inclinations and saw my doctor yesterday. Mostly to get a referral for a sports medicine clinic. She did an exam, though, and said it doesn't feel like arthritis, which is a huge relief. I was concerned about that, because I know I already have a touch of osteoarth in my back (although I have no pain from it, yet). She suspects tendons. Dunno what the issue is but want it to STOP. She didn't do anything to my ankles, although they've been really bothering me too. Can they catch tendonitis from my knees? Is it just going to leak all over my body or will gravity keep it confined to my lower limbs? Getting old is so undignified.

-I see the sports orthopedist a week from Monday.

-In the meantime, tomorrow morning I'm leaving for a trip to somewhere 2 time zones away for a professional meeting. I won't be back til next Thursday. It involves a travel day, 4 meeting days, a sight seeing day, and another travel day. So my mobility (except on travel days) will be way restricted compared to my normal, hoping this will force me to heal some. If my brain doesn't spontaneously combust* first. I'll have roommates, but they're randomly assigned. I'll be in a dorm, not a hotel, so no workout room, and it will be cold so little chance to be outside (I'm have a delicate Southern Belle thermoregulatory system).

-I miss my dog.

-Cancelled therapy yesterday. I am just underwhelmed by it right now. Also, my therapist makes a big deal about being supportive outside of sessions (she gave me her number and e-mail to send messages if I need), but rarely actually answers. This happened earlier this week. Confession: secretly, I'm glad when she doesn't answer because it reaffirms my ambivalence.

-I spent most of the day as the only woman in a room full of skeptical/good ole boysey type men trying to defend a project I'm developing as not only well designed but intellectually meritorious, relevant to larger issues, and worth their time and money. They crossed their arms and spread their legs and played with their pens and alternated between staring me down and staring into space. Why is it so intimidating to be in front of a group that resembles a pack of fidgety fourth graders? Holy sweat bullets, I am drained. But it was all worth it when, at the end, one of them said "Well obviously you've got this nailed down, we're in."

-I must pack!!! And get some token yet admittedly insignificant workout time in so I don't go nuts. And sleep at some point.

-Not sure what my internet situation will be like while I'm there, battery on laptop has kicked the bucket. But I'll be able to keep up with comments via my phone. I love y'all and hope you have a great weekend!


*(Why is blogger's spellchecker telling me "combust" is not a word??? I am right! Right?).


7 comments:

licketysplit said...

Best of luck darlin! I hope you can figure out what's causing your pain (and more importantly get it resolved) soon!

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I hope you have a great time! I'm really proud of you for taking some steps to check on the health of your body. Now just keep going with the resting part...

Kim said...

Have a good trip! And take it as easy as possible -- you're too young to be old ;)

Anonymous said...

hey girl! sending good vibes your way for the trip and a healthy recovery...im still saving up to 3 grand for knee surgery, torn MCL and miniscus...it blows... what i have learned though, and it seems you do this, is worry about the past and future and dont live in the present. try to sit with yourself, in the rpesent, the moment RIGHT NOW and feel it. you may cry b/c i do A LOT but it helps calm down!

lisalisa said...

you are so accomplished! It really amazes me.

I'm glad you will be forced to rest a bit on the trip. It's ok to take it easy once in awhile.

CG said...

So glad you saw the doctor. Major kudos!!! xoxo

ola said...

I am glad you've seen the doctor and that it is not arthrosis! Mytendons tend to hate me during weather changes (extremely hot, cold, rapid changes of temperature). It also could be periostitis (because it occurs often on more bones/joints and the pain is really uncomfortable). I feel like hypocrite when writing it, but rest is the alpha and omega of the healing process. For me some exercises recommended by my orthopedist gave me feeling I am doing something slightly active and "permitted". I hope whatever it is you will be well soon. Just remember resting is actually worth a MARATHON in anorexia recovery. Thinking about you!