Sunday, June 6, 2010

Get the Hit

[Random text conversation from yesterday that y'all would have no interest in, ending with this]:

Cammy: Taking G. out to walk, talk to you later.
Match: I'm gonna come tackle you to keep you still and save your knees.
Cammy: I'm tough, remember?
Match: In anyone else I'd see that as a virtue, in you I see it as a future compound fracture.

The joint pain woes are not abating. I told myself I wasn't going to work out after M left for work this morning, but I didn't follow through, even when I offered myself the option of cutting calories to compensate (bad, I know, I do not endorse that strategy!). I'm going to call my doc in the morning to ask for an X-ray order or something to help determine what the issues is. I actually tossed around the idea of going to the urgent care clinic today instead, since I may not be able to get an appointment with my doctor before I leave for my trip next week (not the big international one, this one is a weeklong venture for a professional conference). I'll see what they say tomorrow though.

Yesterday CG left a comment addressing the fact that I've made progress with food but not exercise. It's a good and interesting point, because I've had several "recovery"/relapse cycles, and in each successive iteration the issues were less severe with food and more severe with exercise. I actually exercised very little at my rock bottom (in middle school), but I ate extremely meagerly as well. Trying achieve the energy output I maintain today on that dietary regimen would have killed me, no doubt. As it has gone along, every time I've increased my routine food intake, the exercise has gone up to help relieve the anxiety of it and make it feel as though I'm balancing. At one point in college I was almost as thin as I had been at rock bottom, but I was eating more calories for one meal than I had eaten in an entire day at other points in my disease history.

I don't think that the issue is that I've become a big foodie (my food intake is about "normal" for someone my age and height, albeit not one on an extreme exercise program), because I'm often frustrated and uncomfortable with the amounts that are included in my meal plan. I am self-conscious about eating that much in front of others, and often have something light in front of them and wait til I'm alone to have more. So it's not that I necessarily work out so that I can eat more food, it's that I eat X calories so that I can get through my workouts. As evidenced by my dilemma this morning, when I passed up the option of cutting calories later (and the decreased amount of food still would have made me full) in favor of a very painful workout. Put the fuel in, push for exertion, get the hit of endorphins, feel anxiety melt away, and done. Wash, rinse, repeat.

In that vein, I had a slightly challenging dinner out with M last night and it went fine. The meal I'd had to psych myself up for turned out to not be as large/substantial as I expected, and I actually had a granola bar in the car on the way home to fill it out.

By the way DO NOT SEE 'SPLICE'. Terrible, horrible, waste of 2 hours worth of brain function. Just fyi.

11 comments:

Angela said...

I'm having the same problem with exercise/eating what is on my meal plan. I can only eat what is on my plan if I exercise to compensate for it, and if I can't exercise, then I can't eat. It is a vicous cycle, and I realize not a healthy one. I'm sorry that you are in pain while working out. I'm going through the same thing with my shins. They kill me through the entire workout, but I continue to run in pain. It is horrible, but I would panic if I couldn't do it. I hope that you can get some help at your Dr. appt., so that you can enjoy your trip. Take care!

Tiptoe said...

I'm going to borrow Sarah's comment from your last post that mobility is important. With that said, I am GLAD that you are going to see your Dr. I am wondering if it is a patella-femoral injury as that can be quite a pain to deal with/linger on, etc. and REST is truly the best option anyway for most knee problems. I have more to say on this, but I'll have to e-mail you.

Btw, whatever happened to your goal of rock climbing? You kind of need knees for that.

Abby said...

I don't think I need to tell you that I can relate. It's like I can either increase the food and increase the exercise or decrease the exercise but decrease the food. Increase food and decrease exercise? Umm...no? Except for me, I do the workouts for the high and the "just in case"--in case I can't tomorrow, in case I want to eat something extra, etc. Even though it's the same food all the time, I still look forward to it and feel I have to earn it. Not logical, but what about an ED is?

As for the knees, this hits home as I'm currently having a foot/ankle issue that should stop me from doing anything and going to a doctor as well (as workouts will then cease.) Know that at your age--at any age--pain isn't normal and shouldn't be what keeps us from things we love.

You have so much more to look forward to than the next obsessive run, so it's time to prioritize. Instant gratification with a run or looking long term at your career, your future fitness activities and general health...this is a long-ass comment. Sorry!

lisalisa said...

too bad I can't pass on some of my laziness to you. I am like the most sedentary ED person I know.

I hope your knees get straightened out.

now.is.now said...

Hey - at risk of sounding preachy and harsh.... I have just an idea... jUST an idea.... what if you were to pretend that you were in a residential ED program? Would that help you cut down on exercise? I mean, in residential, exercising the way you do simply wouldn't be an option - and it would suck - but then you'd get used to it. I suggest this b/c this strategy has been helping me. This afternoon, I didn't want to eat my afternoon snack... but I thought "If I were in residential, I wouldn't have a choice. hungry or not, I'd ahve to show up at the table." And - the thing is - I have compelte trust that the residential people would not make me fat. So, sometimes, instead of "deciding" if I want to or don't want to exercise/skip a meal or snack, I take the option away by pretending I'm in residential. Fantasy? Oh yeah. Effective? Sometimes yes! And have I learned something by doing this? Oh yeah. I've gained a whole bank of experiences that prove the ED wrong.... and, ps, I haven't gained weight doing this.

now.is.now said...

I worry my last comment came out as a bit mean. I want to make sure u know it wasn't mean.... I meant it all out of love, Cammy! xoxo

Cammy said...

No worries Laura, I know you better than to think you'd try to be mean, and I realize I probably need a kick right now. I always appreciate your insights!

Same to everyone else, thanks a ton. Just kind of a conflicted phase going on right now and I appreciate you bearing with me.

now.is.now said...

Cammy, i'm not "bearing" with you... that makes it sound like annoying work. I'm simply here, as always. I know it's tough; I hope the Dr is able to help. I hope you are able to give your body a break and rest a bit.

Anonymous said...

***As it has gone along, every time I've increased my routine food intake, the exercise has gone up to help relieve the anxiety of it and make it feel as though I'm balancing. At one point in college I was almost as thin as I had been at rock bottom, but I was eating more calories for one meal than I had eaten in an entire day at other points in my disease history.****

THIS IS ME!!!!! PLEASE, i am BEGGING YOU, i have been in an immobilizer for like 3 motnhs now because i am ignorant and stubborn and if i could take back my 'exercise' i would, but low and behold now i need MRI's, knee surgery and will bein debt 34562983456298345623 dollars. please please take it easy girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're going to the doctor to get your knees checked out! I really wish you wouldn't exercise so much. :(

Anonymous said...

Try to keep in mind that if you kill your knee -- NO exercise. And it kind of seems like that's where you're headed. :(