I've been working on presenting myself with significant challenges and testing my reliance on my "safe zone" tendencies over the past few weeks, but I am getting to the point where I really need to talk to someone and process some of what I've done/thought/am trying to deal with. And I don't have anywhere to turn for that right now or in the forseeable future. I am so frustrated with this whole system.
Observations, musings, and general ramblings on the path towards recovery from anorexia.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Resources Dwindling
I emailed the therapist to "break up" with her today, and I think I was very tactful. But then I called the office to cancel my Thursday appointment and see if I could request another staff member, but they said I have to come in and see the first person one more time before they'll assign me to someone new. I feel really awkward. Also, my insurance company is being so slow in approving my referral, and I don't want to risk being charged for another session with this person. I am tempted to just drop the issue with this practice, but they are the only ED-specific clinic in town. And my referral is still being processed for them, so I have no place else to go, unless I want to pay in full for my last 3 sessions, which I can't do. And all of this insurance stuff is pointless anyway, because I age out of my coverage next month and have to scrounge for something new, so really it's pointless to try to get a new referral until I know what my new coverage will be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I have no idea what to tell you. I'm sorry I can't fix this for you. I would say write out a list of why you don't think you can work with her and then go and see her and go over the list. I know the insurance thing sucks. I used up all of mine but, hey I'm still sick so what now?
The next thing I can say is call H, or email or something. Maybe you can have a phone session or something.
That is awesome about the challenges. I know it's tough and I know that there can be backlash. I wish you all the best.
That seems so dumb. I don't understand why they are saying you must see this T. one more time before switching to someone else.
You have an option of a) seeing this t. one last time and then seeing if they will switch you. It may feel awkward, but maybe treating it as a closure session would help. If she already knows, then she would just act accordingly, I'd think.
b) wait until next month to see what your coverage is.
c) See another psych who does not specialize in EDs. You might find one that works with EDs but it may not be her specialty. You may also find if she does not take your insurance, to do a sliding scale fee. Some places will also do a sliding scale with insurance as well.
Do you have to have a referral?
That sucks that you have to see that therapist again before they will switch you! I am really suprised at that policy! Do youlive in a larger city? Sometimes there are therapists around who have ED experience but are not part of an ED specific clinic.
I feel for ya!
Please write it out here to the best you can, Cammy. At least use us as your sounding board until the right T is available!! -CG
I'm sorry you have such additional difficulties. It seems paradoxical that the insurance and therapist situation brings you even more stress:(
When reading your blog, I'm almost ashamed about doctors, insurance companies and their dumb rules, because being a doctor is almost some genetic disease in my family;) (which also means my doctor or therapist experiences are not very representative).
Could you probably write an email to your ex-therapist, H?
Another option is seeing therapist with another specialization as Tiptoe said. I have already mentioned the CBT therapist who was psychiatrist and grat (I don't know how it is in US, but in Germany and Czech rep, going to psychiatrist is somehow more stigmatizing than to psychologist. But I think that even surgeons would be more tactful and sensitive than this woman you've seen. And I don't want to offend any surgeon.)
Is there probably some self-help group in your town? (For me, this kind of group was either triggering in the past. I don't know how I would react now. However I know some people who did good expierience with it.
And last thing you know alrealdy- talk to anybody. Your friend, mother, brother, personally, skype or email. Just don't be alone with your troubles. Sorry for my ramblings&good luck with everything!:)
Cause i'm in Aus, I don't entirely understand the deal with the US system (which of course is then complicated by at least a dozen insurance models) so I'm not sure what resources are open to you.
I'm guessing that at this stage you may not feel comfortable asking the clinic why you must see that therapist one more time? Maybe they're just being a bit lazy... If there is some rule or regulation at least you'll know what it is. Also if at all comfortable, perhaps you can explain that in your case some of what she did was well, unprofessional and damaging?
I know its a bit daunting to consider the hunt for other therapists, but finding a therapist you click with is probably the most use of all rather than someone who states they deal with ed's? My therapist is a trauma specialist and had NO idea about ed's (like zilch) before me but she went away and researched and she's been better than my D and my Dr who DO deal with ed's!
If you can use us here at all, please do!!
Will be thinking of you lots
*hugs*
Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog! I love spaghetti squash plain (it almost has a sweet taste to me) or with spaghetti sauce on it. I've also topped it with hummus (will be in tomorrow's post) and I imagine it would be amazing with pesto on it!
Post a Comment