I was looking over my Google Analytics info for this blog today, and noticed an interesting trend: out of the top 10 keyword searches that lead people to BBBB, 4 of them involve the words "boy anorexic." This is interesting and sad, because I know males are vastly overlooked in the ED literature and public awareness. I visit quite a few ED recovery blogs, and I can't think of one that is written by a male . . . if you know of a POSITIVE eating disorder recovery blog/website that shows a male perspective, please leave a comment with the link. I think it would be useful to try to help people connect to those if they are looking for support/insight for men or boys that are struggling.
Something Fishy has some good basic info, basically a validation that yes, men do have legitimate eating disorders. Gurze also has a good page with some resources. The SF page also quotes Arnold Andersen, who has apparently written several books focusing on male EDs that look worth checking out. If you know of more good links/resources, put a comment in and we can start compiling a list!
5 comments:
This is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head:
http://ichosetolive.com/team.aspx
There's a blog by a mom who helped her 11-year-old son recover from anorexia:
http://nourishmyson.blogspot.com
My twin-brother who is kind of semi-recovered anorexic used to write blog for 4 or 5 years about his battle with anorexia athletica, but it´s in swedish
(if you still want it i could ask him and give you the link)
hugs
I think there is also confusion about what exactly defines an ED. My son has always been called "anorexic" by friends and family and it really annoys him. He is very thin, his BMI according to those stupid charts online is 17, which is underweight. He is 18 years old, he has weird eating habits, but he eats. He doesn't feel there is anything wrong with his eating, he realizes he is picky, but otherwise thinks everything is fine. No doctor has ever mentioned anything wrong with his weight.
I think there really need to be some good websites out there that people can use to see that even though a person is thin it doesn't mean they have ED.
Harriet - adult BMI charts don't apply to teenagers. Thanks for asking, I'd love to read some recovery-oriented male blogs too!
Post a Comment