First, thanks so much for all the support people gave after my last post. I always feel guilty after doing purely vent posts, but I think writing it out provided some much-needed relief. Goal for tomorrow is to try to have a Talk about all of those issues with my mother, we'll see how that goes...
So anyway, to take a break from my whining and rambling about ED stuff, I had an interesting experience this weekend. On Friday (yesterday) I got a Facebook message from a guy I literally hadn't talked to or seen in over a year (he was a master's student here, but graduated and moved on to do his PhD at Huge Far Northern University), asking if I wanted to go out today.
My gut reaction to any such invitation is always a big fat NO. No, I don't want to disrupt my routine, no, I have X, Y, and Z to complete for school/work, no, I have already planned what and when to eat for the day, no, that would interfere with a workout, etc etc. I rank a big fat zero on the spontaneity scale. Plus, I don't know the guy all that well. We were friendly, but never got together outside of class while he went to school here. Is this semi-stranger really worth rearranging my day?
But then I stopped to think about it. Classes aren't in session, I've made good progress on the latest batch of grant applications, and no one else is really in town to hang out with. Except for walking G., I hadn't left the house in two or three days. Why not spare a couple of hours of my weekend?
So, uncharacteristically for me, I agreed to go, on less than 24 hours notice. And I went. And I actually had a great time. So yay for breaking 'rules,' maybe I'll do more of that in 2009.
2 comments:
Yeah to spontaneity! I'm working on this as well. Though no necessarily spontaneous, I'm being social two days in a row.
Glad you had a good time!
Good for you! Disrupting routine, getting out of the insulated little spheres created for ourselves can be really damned hard. No matter what happens with this guy, the personal exercise for you is bound to make the whole experience worthwhile.
Post a Comment