Friday, April 2, 2010

Over the Limit

"I had been fooled by water voices, and my imagination, prodded by weariness and boredom, had expanded on them....so committed was I to persevering in spite of my disabilities that I had pushed myself over the limit. Exhaustion is no barrier to destiny, but it can be a signal to back off and recheck, rethink what has already happened. Exhaustion can also be a protector by preventing you from being overwhelmed by the cause. This was something I was to learn too many times--always for the sake of the same cause."
~Jim McMullen

I think one of the keys to recovery is realizing that just because you can push yourself to Point X, doesn't mean that you should, and that exhaustion is a signal, not a reward.

3 comments:

peony said...

recovery should never be rushed :) when you rush your vunrable to trip and fall down but when you climb that hill with the right knowledge and steady remebeering that its a lifelong goal then your make it to the top because u pased yourself properly
wow idk if that made any sence hehe
peony xx

Abby said...

I posted something called "Just because I can, doesn't mean I should" a few months ago about the same exact thing. You summed it up perfectly. It's not about always pushing yourself to the limit, because who knows what that limit is, and what will happen when you get there? Instead, it's about challenging yourself in healthy ways, turning that thinking around that because you should take healthy actions, you can.

Amanda said...

This is so true. Thanks for the reminder... I needed it today!

Best of luck in recovery. Embrace it. I'll be doing the same.