What one thing are you exceptionally good at?
I am a fantabulous tree-climber.
What was your lowest weight? How much weight have you gained in recovery and are you still trying to?
I don't think that sharing that would have any healthy result for either me or the readers, so I shall demure instead of divulging. In other words, I ain't tellin'. I will tell you that I was low enough that it damn near killed me, and have absolutely no desire to weigh anywhere near that ever again. I have gained a significant amount in recovery. My weight is still not quite up to where my team wants it, but I'm healthy and stable enough that they're focusing more on normalizing behaviors than boosting calories, to try to get me settled into a healthy lifestyle so that my weight will follow. I will tell you I'm at the highest weight I've ever been in my life, due to the fact that I started with AN when I was pre-adolescent. One major challenge in recovery has been that I couldn't go "back" to my pre-ED body, and it was pretty anxiety inducing to go forward and not have any idea what my body would end up like.
One other thing I will mention about weight, because it is something that I think can be an issue for many people: when I started gaining weight, eating X calories, I was afraid that as long as I ate X calories, I'd keep gaining weight. Forever. This is NOT true. I hit a plateau roughly every 5 pounds or so, and couldn't budge above it until I made an additional change in my lifestyle. The calories-in-calories-out calculations, like the ones that tell you however many extra grapes per day add up to however many extra pounds per year, which accumulates year after year, is simply not reality. Your body is smarter than that.
5 comments:
I've always wanted to be able to climb trees!! Can't do it, obviously.
Maybe it's out of line for me to say this, so if it is, I apologize in advance... but I think that your refusal to divulge your lowest weight really shows your commitment to recovery. I see so many people who seem to want to "brag" about that because they're still so attached to that number.
Good luck at the event tomorrow!
<3 <3
While I've been reading and enjoying your blog for a long time now, I've always been too shy to comment. ... So hello! That being said, I tagged you with an award on my blog, so if you decide that you want to accept just take a look at my most recent blog post. ;)
I agree that your not stating your lowest weight demonstrates great maturity. So often people have a borderline bragging tone whilst talking about their experiences, as though they are in a competition and trying to assert themselves as being really sick and "good" at their d/o. So your decision not to engage in any way sounds like the "healthy voice" shining through... Mad props!
Rachael*
Journal club??? Been there. Good luck! It's also good to know that I'm not the only one who pays particular attention to her shoe choices when giving public talks. They're important! I always check out the shoes of speakers. "What Not To Wear" would have a field day in science, no?
I agree that not sharing a number is probably a good idea. I have grown less hesitant about sharing my CURRENT weight with people in recovery if they want to know it, because I think it can be good for people to see that I can have a BMI that's above the "minimal underweight" and still be happy and healthy, but there is no point to "legitimizing" one's illness by sharing that weight or to add fuel to someone else's "I'm not sick enough" fire.
That's why I have been very careful with sharing photos, too--when I have shared photos from that time in my life on my blog, I have made sure to show the least triggering photos possible where I am wearing baggier clothes and am at least 7 lbs up from my lowest weight on my blog. Those few pounds make a difference and I don't feel remotely comfortable sharing anything lower than that--I just look sick and ill and why would anyone want to see that unless there is a much greater point I am trying to make (I haven't come up with anything "worth" it yet.) I know people who are still ill can use those photos as comparison so I just try to be REALLY non triggering. Hopefully, I succeed. Anyway, I applaud you for your position here.
Also, we should probably get a photo of the shoes :)
I for one am greatful for your sensitivity in not disclosing your lowest weight. i tend to compare myself with others and it would have just been one more thing to obsess over.
The important thing to remember is, you are more than your weight, past or present!
I have a question for you: Why do you call your boyfriend "Match" on your blog? Is it because you were matched by a dating service? Just curious. I don't know where people are posting all of these questions for you, so I just thought I would throw one out here.
Post a Comment