Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mishmash Updates

Happy Earth Day, lovelies! I hope everyone had a chance to stop and appreciate nature today. I'm getting ready for a weekend trip and am a little too hectic for a very coherent post, so hang with me.

My mother is apparently offering dates with me to persuade the top students in her class to help her study for finals (for FB friendsies, you can see her post about it on my wall). Apparently she's had a couple of takers . . . she probably would have offered dates with herself if she were younger and unmarrieder, but apparently using me as a substitute her is close enough. ;p

This weekend (I'll be on a camping trip with a group of other grad students) is going to present some challenging eating situations. We're supposed to bring our own food for breakfasts/lunches, and a couple of people volunteered to cook for everyone at dinnertime. I have a general idea of what we'll be having every night, but am still a bit anxious about this. On the other hand, we'll be doing some cool activities and I know I want to have energy to enjoy it. So going to try to buckle down and play normal, it's just 3 days...

I had to go buy new sports bras today. Birth control, I worship thee.

It occurred to me today that I can't remember the last time I ate meat. It's been a week, maybe? This is NOT a disordered thing or even a conscious decision, I've just been using a lot of alternative proteins this week without even thinking about it.

Just one more class left of the semester! Although now that I'm in grad school, my workload doesn't change significantly when classes are over. Oh well.

Ok, still have some last minute packing to do, and I'm starting to doze off over keyboard. I hope everyone has a fantabulous weekend!


What are your top 5 favorite books and why?

Many of my favorite books are nonfiction, but I'm still a bit antsy about revealing too much about my research interests, so I'll stick with fiction for this list. It's so hard to narrow it down to 5...and as for the why, what I typically enjoy about a book is something that makes you think, as simple as that sounds. The books below all provided plenty of food for thought that my mind continues to toy with even years afterwards.

1) The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
2) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3) The Great Santini by Pat Conroy
4) The Baroque Cycle series by Neal Stephenson
5) Life of Pi by Yann Martel

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Barbara Kingsolver went to my school!

Amy said...

For reasons I don't understand, it doesn't seem to be cool in my circle to love TKaM (too high school?), but those people are effers; it's clearly one of the most wonderful books ever written. Happy camping!

Cammy said...

Waitwait I forgot Gone with the Wind!!! I'm not sure which one I'd bump to make room for it, probably Life of Pi.
Also, it's a shame Harper Lee only wrote one book...although I heard a theory that Truman Capote actually wrote TKaM. Not sure what evidence there is for that, though.

Anonymous said...

Have fun this weekend!! I know it sounds easier to say than do, but I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I loved To Kill A Mockingbird, too. Though I probably would have hated it if I'd read it for school instead of on my own! ;)

<3 <3

Lynn said...

Hey Cammy! 1 year lurker over here lol. I stumbled upon your blog in the midst of reading other recovery blogs and have been religiously reading ever since. Anyway...I just started the first volume of the Baroque Cycle, Quicksilver and am probably a quarter of the way through. It's been a little rough and slow in the progress department..Does it go any faster or pick up? I love all the information and experiments but after a certain point it just kind of gets 'stuck.'

Any similar authors you reccomend? I love Robin Hobb and Steig Larsson

Cammy said...

:ey Lynn! It always makes my day when someone delurks and makes a first comment! And YES, the series does pick up, I thought it was a bit slow at first too. But I stuck with it and really got sucked in, hated when I had finally finished the series!

Other authors I really like are Kurt Vonnegut, T.C. Boyle, Christopher Moore, Salman Rushdie...too many to list!

Telstaar said...

Just a quick comment...

I hope you have an awesome time away with peoples and that the activities are fun :).

YAY re classes almost over... for me not having classes means that I structure my time instead of it structuring me which is always nice but like you said, the workload doesn't change heaps.

Enjoy madame!! xo

Anonymous said...

Oh, we have similar tastes in books for sure! The Poisonwood Bible and The Life of Pi are in my top 5 for sure. Also The Bell Jar, The Year of Magical Thinking, and Wuthering Heights (gotta throw a classic in there)!

FYI, I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire. Excellent! I can't wait to read the third one.

Kristina said...

Definitely love "A Confederacy of Dunces". That would be, without a doubt, on my top 10 list, probably my top five list. I actually might start to re-read it today, just for fun.

Anonymous said...

hey the trip sounds fun... just take the "fake it and make it" to get through the 3 days, i am sure you will do great!

my favorite book..hmm.. well i dont even know that i have read 5 i like enough to remember but i got 2!

- the 5 people you meet in heaven(touching, thought provoking)
- the sweet potato queens book on love (HILARIOUS, like laugh out loud)