Match and I don't bicker often, but we got into a bit of a disagreement this weekend that I'm still simmering about a little bit. The only reason I am bringing it up on here was that it was related to ED stuff. I think I mentioned before that even though he's a psych major, he had some big misconceptions about EDs, basically what he interpreted/retained from a very cursory coverage in a general psych class.
It came up when he was telling me about a psych evaluation test he'd learned about in class, and developed into a discussion on diagnostic criteria for EDs. I tried to get across that the weight "requirements" for AN are misguided and often ignored by people with real experience treating EDs, that the DSM is outdated, etc, but I felt like he wasn't listening to me, he just kept reiterating what the DSM says.
And I was quite pissed. Maybe I shouldn't have taken it so personally, I don't know. It wasn't even just the ED issue, it was that I felt more than a little invalidated that he didn't seem to be open to my ideas/opinions on an issue with which I've had a lot of experience. We've patched things up over it, he later insisted he WAS listening and doesn't necessarily agree with the DSM, he was just telling me what it said, but it still seems like kind of an eggshell patch to tiptoe around. It just bothers me that we're this close, and he's known me this long, yet he could still have such big misconceptions about the ED. That's not entirely his fault, as he never really learned about them in school and isn't aiming towards that "kind" of psych for his career. Also, I still don't volunteer much info about how I'm doing or day to day challenges, so of course what he knows comes mainly from the few official definitions he's read. I understand that, which is why I was disappointed when my attempts to explain it more betterer didn't exactly succeed. I know there are a lot of misconceptions about EDs floating around, but I think that having trouble articulating to people you are close to is especially isolating.
On the topic of relationships and such, a couple of relevant questions from Formspring. I am having a superbusy week, so please don't be offended if it takes me a few days to get to your question, they mean a lot to me so keep them coming! By the way, Lisa asked in a comment on an earlier post if Match's name reflects how I met him. In fact it does. I NEVER thought I'd do one of those dating sites, but it wasn't a bad experience (obviously). I moved to a new city in August and joined Match.com for just one month, to meet new people in my area, I was open to just finding friends as well as maybe something else. I wouldn't have met Match otherwise, so it was worth it!
Do you ever want to get married? Do you think you will marry Match?
I can't entirely rule it out, because you never know what will happen...but getting married is definitely neither a priority nor a goal of mine. Even though I've done a lot of opening up and breaking down walls with Match, I still have a hard time fathoming living a life THAT entwined with someone else. I'm not criticizing marriage, of course, I think it's awesome when people find that Someone to connect and spend their lives with, I just have a hard time picturing it for myself...and I really enjoy Match and care about him quite a bit, but I don't predict that we'll be making that step.
Do you want to have kids one day? If so, are you worried about your potential future daughter(s) developing an eating disorder?
No, and partly because the answer to the second question would be yes. Well, I can't blame it all on that. I am extremely passionate about my work and career, and unfortunately the lifestyle involved in building a solid academic career in my field is not conducive to family building. It involves a lot of travel and long hours, with little money or benefits, during prime reproductive years. Also, I've never really had a strong maternal desire, honestly. I hope it doesn't make me seem like a bad person to admit that. G. fulfills any caretaking urges I have, and he doesn't outgrow his clothes every month. I think babies are fine, and love that some people have them, but the thought of having one of my own seems unfathomable. Seriously, a real live human, dependent on ME? Of course I could take care of it, but I'd be so paranoid about doing something wrong, screwing it up for life, being blamed for years of therapy and angsty lashing out in later years. I have a fantastic mom, but I still barely made it out of middle school with my life, and sanity was just forgone. And 2 out of her 3 kids are currently in therapy (to be addressed in an upcoming Formspring answer). Wtf?
Which leads into the second part of the question. IF, hypothetically, something random and unexpected happened and I did end up producing a child, I'd definitely want it to be a boy. Not just for ED issues, I feel like girls are tricky in a lot of ways. But ED risk would be a factor (not that it's not a risk for boys, my youngest brother has had some eating issues in the past also). I have eating disorders on both sides of my family tree, in addition to multiple alcoholics in every generation on both sides of said metaphorical arbor. My mom dealt with OCD when she was younger, depression peppers the family, including my brother (although my brothers are "only" half brothers, I always have to remind myself of that because I don't think of them that way). Plus I am pitifully nearsighted (trying to psych myself up for Lasik b/c contacts are a pain in the field) and have rather unruly hair and a horrible singing voice. In a nutshell, if I accomplish nothing else in life, my leaving this planet without spawning offspring should be seen as an achievement for the betterment of the human race.
(Disclaimer: The opinions voiced here apply to ME only. I am not implying that I think ED sufferers shouldn't have kids, that is not the case. People with EDs tend to be highly intelligent and responsible, among other things. So please don't read this as judgment on anyone else for having/wanting babies. Everyone deserves a family. I'm aware that it's one of those "I'm an exception to the rule" situations).
EDIT: It just occured to me that the title of this post could give people the initial idea that the post holds some BIG life announcements about myself and Match. Sorry to disappoint! ;)
9 comments:
Misleading post title, indeed!! ;)
I just went through the same experience with my dad... it's so upsetting when you can't adequately portray something so that the other party understands it. But I guess there are certain things that people just won't be able to "get" unless they've been through it...
<3 <3
i have had to conclude that no one, not even the all powerful therapists, psychs, doctors....all of them, unless they have HAD an ED will ever in a million eons understand one or it's "criteria". i seem to waste my breath when i try
we are like polar opposites with kids...haha i wanna get married and be the ever so typical stay at home mom housewife with like 934651938465 kids!! i dont really worry about an ED developing but i am sure it will be in the back of my mind, esp if i have girls and they enter the "diet years" i may flip a switch
I have been thinking a lot about marriage and kids these days. I do want both of those things. I worry that I will never be able to have kids though because I have always had problems with my period, even before my ED. Now I do not get it at all. I just hope that one day it comes back, so I can have kids. I also worry a lot about my kid or kids developing an ED. It is the last thing I would want. I guess I am just worrying a lot right now...
I had a similar conversation with my brother (he's a physician assistant) and I was surprised and hurt at how unreceptive he was with some of the things I had to say about ED's and the flaws in both the DSM and common treatment of ED's. He is usually pretty good at listening, but that DSM really is like a bible for some people I guess. :/
You know, I've gotten into a lot of heated arguments with Larry about eating disorder issues. For some reason, he tends to think he knows far more about nutrition and weight than I do. We've learned to just not talk about it too much. He stays out of my way with most food-related things. He is very good about listening to the anxiety-related issues though.
I never thought I would get married, but I'm so happy I did. I thought it was "just a piece of paper," but it really is a very bonding thing. And being married has made me let go far more than I would if we remained boyfriend/girlfriend. I kept him at arm's length in that scenario (and he did the same for me). I feel like it's a very personal topic and you'll know what's best for you when the time comes.
I don't want kids for a variety of reasons, mostly not ED-related. I never wanted kids, even when I was young and my friends were dreaming of their future families. I'm not very kid-oriented, and I'm way too anxious to manage all that, I think. I'm certain I can be happy without kids, so I think why mess with that? Again, very personal issue...
Thanks for sharing!
You are so active blogger Cammy that I can't comment as often as I would like to:)
I am almost jealous on your clear opinion about having cildren. For a long time I was convinced I won't be able to have kids, but now when it is more probable it seems like another dificult decision between academic career and family life. I would love to be full time PhD student and full time mom... I know it is impossible. AN, alcoholismus and bipolar disorder run strongly in my family. But my parents who are doctors "gave" me and my sisters wonderful happy and active childhood and it seems somehow fair to have my own children with their nearsightness, talents, fears and joys. I still struggle, but I can't say I don't like being on this world.
And I think that multiplying your genes would be awesome for this planet:)
If it means anything, I truly am in your corner and empathize with the 'ED' frustration. Just reading your post made me feel tense! I know he meant well- but it did sound condescending, and invalidating. It was INSENSITIVE. I am glad you are okay now! I think you are beautiful, and a really STRONG and courageous lady!I think people focus to much on the 'tangible' or what they can grasp (ie food/weight) and forget to realize it is MENTAL! What is going on in the head and the emotions associated with it. It's what's going on inside that counts!
Love,
Barbara
I laughed HYSTERICALLY about your statement, "if I die having done nothing but NOT spawned offspring..." I read it out loud to D and he cracked up too!
I agree with Protein Girl that his comment did sound condescending. That conversation may be a turn off that you want to take note of, you know? A "red flag" if you will. Or, you could bring it up again and springboard into a conversation about how it made you feel. If he is a good guy, he will apologize for invalidating your feelings (regardless of whether that was intentional or not,) and you'll probably feel a lot better.
I always felt the same way about children as you, but now I want them. Getting engaged, working with kids, and being with D and kids at the same time made me start craving them and now I see it as something GOOD I could do for the world--raise children who wouldn't have parents and raise them (to the best of my ability) to be good people. It may not turn out, but I will have tried to produce something good. That being said, the world benefits greatly from people who use singleness/childlessness to their advantage to accomplish great things, too.
i agree with many folks here - if you haven't had an ED, you're usually vaguely clueless.
i have a history of substance abuse too, and it seems that only an addict really "gets" it.
still, EDs seem even more difficult for "other" people to understand.
Post a Comment