But the one I see now is really good, I like her a lot and she really offers helpful, practical tips specifically for ED issues. But I still hate seeing her. Why? My diet right now is nothing like a "typical" anorexic, and I am more than a little self-conscious about it.
In the past, I did fit the stereotypical anorexic pattern: extreme food restriction, ritualistic eating of just a few items, rigid exercise routines. I would “save up” for days in order to allow myself a bagel that had a half a gram of fat in it. Over the years, through each up and down swing through the disorder, the balance of behaviors has evolved. The ratio of food to exercise is different in each cycle. Right now exercise is just as much of an issue for me as food, if not moreso. I eat more in one meal than I used to eat in an entire day, but my exercise has increased by orders of magnitude, it's really out of control. If someone looked at my daily calorie intake, there's no way they'd think that I had an eating disorder. What makes the difference is the pathological amount of time I spend working out every day, which means I can eat X and Y and Z and still be below 75% of my "ideal body weight."
I still have strict rules about when/what I eat, I'm not at all in denial that I do have an eating disorder. I am self-conscious, though, about whether it really seems like a valid issue, because right now I really don't fit into the cookie-cutter stereotype of behaviors. I don’t binge and use exercise to purge. Even though I eat much more food than I did in previous permutations of the disorder, everything is obsessively planned, measured, and tallied. I guess all of this makes me ED-NOS? I’ve heard the term "anorexia atheletica" before, that would probably be the best descriptor right now. Labels are for soup cans, not people, but not having a niche still makes me feel a little invalid, me and my orphan, no-named freakishness.
Thus, the reason for dreading the nutritionist. I know she works with a lot of ED patients, and I can't help but think how massive my intake must look compared to some of her other clients. That being said, I know that disordered eating isn't about number of calories, it's about the manner of the relationship with food, rigid rules about eating, etc. I also know better than to trust my perceptions all of the time. Right now I feel like I eat tons (again, not impulsively, just what I’ve figured out it takes to maintain my activity from day to day) even though I know my weight is at an unhealthy low, and over the holidays I dipped down to not significantly much more than I had weighed when I was wrapped up in my most severe food restriction as a teenager.
Thus, the reason for dreading the nutritionist. I know she works with a lot of ED patients, and I can't help but think how massive my intake must look compared to some of her other clients. That being said, I know that disordered eating isn't about number of calories, it's about the manner of the relationship with food, rigid rules about eating, etc. I also know better than to trust my perceptions all of the time. Right now I feel like I eat tons (again, not impulsively, just what I’ve figured out it takes to maintain my activity from day to day) even though I know my weight is at an unhealthy low, and over the holidays I dipped down to not significantly much more than I had weighed when I was wrapped up in my most severe food restriction as a teenager.
I try to keep that in perspective, though, by remembering years ago when I was in extreme restriction mode and occasionally I'd have a bit more and feel so guilty about a "binge"...which, looking back, was actually a pathetically small number of calories. It just didn't feel like that at the time.
That raises the question: In one month, six months, a year from now, how I will I perceive the things I feel guilty or invalid about today?
2 comments:
Cammy,
Could you maybe reframe things? If you had cancer, would you be sitting in the oncologist's office wondering who had more cancer cells or a larger tumor? You're there for YOU.
'Course, that's easy for ME to say. I don't know if it helps, but even now I read things like this and think, "See? I really wasn't that sick. My exercise wasn't that crazy."
The point is that your eating disorder is going to do whatever it can to sabotage your treatment. What. Ever. It. Can. It still takes a lot of work for me, but I am trying to let such comparisons go. I don't need to justify the occupation of a seat in the waiting room. Damn skippy there are going to be people who are more sick than me. But that doesn't mean I don't have issues and don't have the obligation to myself to fix them.
Hopefully you will perceive them with acute knowledge and understanding...hopefully you will perceive them with the great mind backed by all you have learned about yourself and about recovery. :)
Looking back on the journey and being able to really see what you went through and what you thought is such a gift.
Best of luck. Sounds like you are doing quite well. Make sure you give yourself the credit you deserve!
Post a Comment