Sunday, May 15, 2011

In Which Murphy's Law Tortures My Match

So today was supposed to be Match Day, and I really, really needed a good dose of my bf/bff this month.....but his trip down quickly digressed into a comedy of errors.

9 AM: Match leaves his Mom's house (it's about 1/3 of the way between his house and mine, he made a stopover to visit family for a couple of nights on his way here). He is driving his dad's truck with a washer and dryer in the back, special delivery for yours truly, since my new place didn't come with a set.

10:30: Match notices oil pressure gauge is going haywire. He calls his dad, who tells him that the sensor is probably just loose.

11:30 Truck still acting up, he passes a little oil change/brakes shop that doesn't look busy and decides to stop in and get it checked out while he grabs something to eat.

12:30 News comes that the oil pump needs replaced.  But the little shop won't do it and no place that can is open on a Sunday. He and his dad start calling every garage in the area, but no luck.

2:00  Mechanic tells him that it "could go another 10,000 miles, or just 3, dunno, it'll die at some point but no way to tell when."  Match was about 450 miles from me, and decided to just test his luck and push on.

2:20 Match leaves garage in truck

2:45 Truck dies. Dead, kaput, not going another inch.

3:00 It is decided that Match's dad will drive (3 hours) Match's car to him, and a friend with a tow truck will follow and tow the broken truck (still laden with washer and dryer) back also.

4:30 Dad and friend finally depart, due to unspecified delays/inefficiencies.

6:00 Torrential downpour, Match gets soaked all the way through.  I am still not clear on why he didn't just shelter in the cab of the truck; it did not seem a prudent time to criticize his poor survival instincts. It appears that Murphy's Law had zeroed in on poor Match today, the guy couldn't catch a break.

7:30 Dad and friend arrive, load broken truck onto tow trailer, take Match to gas station to change into something dry and get food, since he hasn't eaten since a candy bar at little car shop around 11:30.

8:00 Match finally on the road for another 6-7 hours of driving to get here. Oh and his iPod had died while he was waiting on the side of the interstate for almost 5 hours, so he has nothing to listen to during those 6-7 hours besides patchy country radio stations in all the Middle of Nowhere stretches of road he has to go through.

My poor Match!!! Will be so glad when he's finally here.  Things have been tensing up again the past week or two, but I think it's mostly because he was in the drudge of finals and some other high-stress things. And I haven't exactly been on top of my game emotionally. Happens sometimes, but it really got to me this month, with everything else that's been going on.  A little bit of reconnection time goes a long way, though, thinking it will be a good week.


Oh and I got an e-mail back from one of the psychologists I e-mailed (I found 3 that looked worth sending inquiries to), may have something set up with her within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone for the awesome support recently.  I hope everyone has a great week, love y'all.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Oh no, poor Match! I have days like that sometimes ;) it's like the universe just likes to laugh at people occasionally! I'm glad one of the psychologists got back to you already, good luck getting something set up. It can be so frustrating trying to find someone you click with (and who fits all those other concerns like financial stuff), I will keep my fingers crossed that you get lucky first time :)

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

Oh goodness! This is truly a comedy of errors! I had read your tweets about this event yesterday, but I thought I HAD to be misunderstanding them because how could this many bad things happen to one person on one day? I feel so bad for him! You and G better give him LOTS of love when he finally arrives :) Is Match staying for the whole week?

Tiptoe said...

Poor Match, that had to be rough. But at least, he is there now. This still one of those stories that you will be laughing at years from now, but in the moment, yeah stressful!

Hope you have a good time with Match! Enjoy it!

And yeah for making an appt. Hope one of them works out.

brie said...

bah! sounds terrible! but i'm so glad he has safely arrived to you. :) hope you are having fun and getting some good match time in!

Angela said...

All that I can say is that he must really love you to want to get to you so bad. What a guy, and I'm glad that you have someone in your life who is like that.

Abby said...

When it rains, it pours a shit storm, huh? At least there was a happy ending--you! ;)

Hang in there!