Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stuck for a Title, Sorry

So, yet another longish break without an update.  I've been working very hard to keep myself busy since I moved in down here, and honestly haven't had a ton to report.

Truth is, I feel myself slipping, mindset-wise.  I am so incredibly unhappy here, this school was the biggest mistake of my life. And I just don't give a shit about anything right now.  I had a week or two where I cried all the time, and now I'm just feeling more and more numb.

  I remember one time, a little over a year ago, when I was doing a lot better with ED stuff, when I told my then-nutritionist (miss her, wish I could afford her now that I'm back) "I used to keep myself so thin because I was hurting, it was the only way I knew how to express it. Now I'm not hurting anymore, and I'm just trying to figure out how to get back up to speed without going crazy." Well honestly, I'm hurting now, and over the past few days I've had some thoughts that really scare me, that are sort of a reversal the progress I was describing in that exchange.   I don't really know how to describe it. That transition from being afraid of pain and emptiness to craving it. I just don't give a fuck and losing weight is the only way I know how to pretty much flip off life at the moment

 I really think I need to be seeing someone.  I'm so ashamed to have to ask my parents for money, and honestly they don't have it right now; my mom quit her job to go back to law school a couple of years ago, my dad is about to retire, one brother is starting college in the fall and the other just started driving. I'm a fucking adult and need to handle things like a big girl. Plus my parents have sunk thousands of dollars into therapy for me already, just to end up back here...

A few people have suggested going to the campus counseling center, which is indeed a good idea, but typically those don't treat eating issues, because EDers are such a medical liability.  When I reached out to campus services when I felt a relapse coming on as an undergrad, I was "referred to the community", which meant they told me to call my insurance company and see if they'd cover anyone in private practice because the campus counselors wouldn't touch my bony ass with a ten foot pole.

Right now I'm hanging in with eating, but exercise is way out of control, and I know that it is so, so easy for me to slash my food intake if I don't make a conscious effort to keep it up, and that's what my mind has been playing with lately, it would be especially easy with all the traveling I'm doing this summer.  My weight isn't in a big danger zone right now, I've been much, much worse, but it's below healthy and down double digits from what it was a year ago (which still wasn't quite to healthy BMI at the peak) and I am scared by how easily I accept and almost like that.

Okay, a few random other updates:

--You know you have body issues when....the most uncomfortable part of a gyno appointment is when the doctor has her hands on your stomach.  Lol...and yes that appointment was the highlight of my day yesterday because I actually got to talk to someone for about 45 minutes.  :/

--A short while ago I mentioned M. and I were in a period of really awful bickering and spats, and that has, thank god, ended.  We finally had a pow-wow on the phone one night, both got out a bit of pent-up emotion, and we've been back to sweet selves ever since then and all is well. He will be here in five daysssss!!!!

--One positive point I'll concede about this move is that my neighborhood is a lot more pleasant than the last time I lived here, much better for dog-walking and convenient to campus.  Except for the kamikaze chihuahuas and poodles that for some reason think they can hunt down my 75 pound dog like little furry bullets.  Seriously? If my dog had a mean bone in his body he could snap you in half in a heartbeat, yappers, so leave us alone!  It really is a pet peeve of mine (no pun intended) that small dogs can get away with such awful behavior, being little is no excuse for bad manners.

--I won't/can't go into details, but my major professor has made a huge mess of the budget for the project that was my entire reason for moving back here in May instead of August, and I am pissed, frustrated, and increasingly jaded about academia.

--The campus gym is closed for the summer, so I got a membership to Gold's Gym. I just felt the need to issue a public review, because I've found the equipment to be very poorly maintained and unclean, I disinfect everything both before and after I use any machine.  It's the chain's newest location in our city, but it looks like they got the equipment at a surplus sale or from another gym that was going out of business.

--One benefit to membership is that I get to do the classes free, so I think I'm going to start going to yoga sessions a couple of times a week.  I have a DVD I do at home, but it's not the same, and I've never been able to afford group lessons.

--I think I'm going to get another tattoo soon, right after Match visit (he's not enthused about it, but oh well). For those of you that are newer readers, there is a post about and picture of my first tattoo, the ED recovery symbol. I'm really undecided about whether to get the next one (this one will be a four-word quote) on shoulder blade or upper arm part of shoulder (what you'd see if you saw me standing perpendicular to you).  I'm not putting the decision to an official vote, but I'm interested to hear your opinions and stories of any of your tattoos! What do you have, where, why, if you feel like sharing?

Anyway, that's the state of things at the moment.  I've been a bit behind on blog-reading since the move, but am trying to get caught up, apologies if you get tardy comments from me on week-old posts. Love y'all.

10 comments:

Tiptoe said...

Really glad you are going to contact H. I think that will be good for you even if it is via e-mail.

Amen to the small dogs getting away with murder! I think I last read it was dachshunds, chihuahas, and parson russell terriers that have the most bites. I'd probably include cocker spaniels though too. Only generalizationally speaking.

I Hate to Weight said...

i'm sorry it sucks right now.

is there a chance things will get better at school or is this just the way it is while you're there?

i think it's a great idea to reach out to H. if not H., then i think it's worth looking for someone else. i have a feeling your parents will think it is so worth any money they might have to contribute.

that's just my thinking.

Anonymous said...

Given that your weight was not up to a healthy BMI last year, and you've lost what must be over 10lbs from that, this must put you at the very least below the marker for clinically active anorexia. This is serious. It may not feel serious because you've been ill for so long, but it is. Your brain is not functioning properly right now. You are malnourished. You are becoming more locked into your exercise and your restriction. I strongly suggest you ask your parents for money. The longer you wait, the harder it will be, and you are at a critical place. You know this, though. You can't do this on your own, and that's not a failure on your part. You don't have to be ashamed or indignant. It doesn't matter that you're an adult. If you were twenty years older, you would still deserve help and treatment. You deserve to live a fuller life. You can fight this. You can give it up. But it is not possible to recover half way. You can fight your other battles without the help of anorexia. You can do this. All you need to do is make the first move, and get some help.

Amy said...

Ditto on the H thing. Worried about you. )=

ola said...

Cammy:( It is all so sad and unjust and if I could I would send you money (I feel so spoiled again, because I/my family have never had to think about money too much and there were always tons of my parents friends from med school and their friends who were/knew therapists etc.) So when I start to work I may send you my 30 Euro which I monthly give to "People in need" organisation. And I mean it.

Please please please don't hurt yourself (and people who love you) with ED! You know too well it's just temporary relief and in the end it's so evil and it is so easy to slip and it costs your mind and body way to much:( This all will pass and soon you will find another place on Earth or inside of you where you'll be much happier.

Have you ever tried to express your pain in some other non-destructive way than anorexia? Something like your blog, but maybe more personal. Some art or writing a novel? It sounds banal I know. Art has helped me a lot in the past (well along with "white good mood"= antidepressants; and although I've tried to avoid them and I was ashamed etc etc, I wouldn't be on the place where I am now without them. And they are way cheaper than a therapist).

The emailing with H. is an amazing idea, it is so much easier to re-start a therapy with someone who know you and who you like. And I have a feeling she like you as well. And the yoga class sounds awesome, maybe you'll meet some nice people there! Match's visit will bright the gloomines and everything is going to be better.
Take care please! xx

(I have no tattoo. I am bit of a covard tattoo-induced-infection-wise and I was always like - tattoos are for really cool and arty persos what I am not...)

Unknown said...

Please find someone to talk to. It is SO important (and i know you know that)...don't force yourself to feel alone. Go to AB meetings if you can't afford any treatment right now. JUST FIND SOMEONE TO TALK TO. Wishing you the best xo

Shannyn said...

Holding a good thought for you. I've been there and it's awful and I'm sorry. I wish I had something more profound.

licketysplit said...

I am sorry you are struggling so much right now. I think that reaching out to H is a good idea. If she thinks you need more support right now, she can help you figure that out as well. *hug*

Charlotte said...

I read this a couple of days ago but then blogger was down and I couldn't comment and anyhow, I've been worrying about you ever since. Kudos to you for recognizing the thoughts for what they are and for knowing you need help. I really hope you did get a hold of H. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this right now - but please pull back from the edge. Remember how much work you've done to get to where you are now! You can do this because you have been doing it:) Hang in there!

Telstaar said...

A) All comments written on the post above still very definitely apply, still willing to do ANYTHING that might help, even if its just regular venting emails and listening non-judgementally.

B) I think contacting H is a great idea. I think even though she might not be able to see you as a client, she might be able to sustain you in this interim period.

C) As I was reading, I was also thinking about this guy in New Zealand who does a lot of therapy via email (very very successfully), his name is david epston. I have his email somewhere and could find it. He is very successful in treating eating disorders and I think he does a lot of pro bono work. It might be worth asking, especially if you don't get much luck otherwise. A good introduction to his work is "Biting the hand that starves you" but he's very passionate and VERY caring about his clients.... I don't know, it just came up when I was reading your post. (NB. He hasn't worked with just "simple" cases but has been referred those cases that people assume are going to die or are no hopers etc....so he can certainly manage someone that is willing to try like you are!)

*cuddles and lets you lay down on a cushion on my lap and strokes your hair*

xoxoxo