Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ceilings are Not Fun


So, I know the point about recovery challenges is that you have to let your anxiety rise. Deal with it until you've hit the ceiling, come back down in order to be OK and learn that no, the world indeed does not end if you do X, Y, or Z destructive behavior. But I think I am ascending rapidly right now after making some significant exercise cuts and I am really, really not having fun. Not that fun is the point, obviously.



Speaking of not fun things, today of all days I really need to go to the mall for some specific items. I won't have a chance for the next few days, and I have to have some khaki dress pants for Tuesday. Clothes shopping itself is inevitably a big trigger for me, this should be interesting.



On the plus side, my house is still standing and my family is alive and healthy. My metaphorical ceiling may be an issue, but my literal one is strong and stable. I shaved as much as I could off my budget this week to help out with people not so lucky, please consider it if you are able.

12 comments:

CG said...

I believe in you.

Eating With Others said...

Great that's what I hit, a ceiling. Nice to have a name for it. I'm not doing, ok I am doing what my therapist would say is destructive behavior, but it only hurts me so it doesn't count.

Try not to get too destructive.

Maeve said...

Good luck with the anxiety! I know you can handle it and come out with less anxiety in the long run. As hard as it is know that you are stronger!!!!

Anonymous said...

clothes shopping is definitely a trigger for me too. i hope it goes ok and that you find some things you like!

Kim said...

Clothes shopping is so hard for me too... and I can't stand how I feel with "exposure therapy," ascending toward that ceiling. Yes, I come down, but it sucks. I know you'll be fine as you sit with it... I had a lot of anxiety when I cut back exercise, but it's close to a non-issue now.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!
I know it's no fun :( but I have faith in you! I hope you find some beautiful new things!

now.is.now said...

It's great that you have this awareness about where you are, how your anxiety levels are, and why you feel this way. Sometimes simply being aware that what you're feeling is anxiety caused by hitting a level of challenge that is really pushing your boundaries can help control yourself and keep yourself from reverting back to destructive behaviors to relieve the anxiety. I know it's tough, but so are you. You're in this for the long haul, and you'll push through. You have hit a ceiling. You don't have to charge straight ahead to the next level of recovery, but you also don't have to run back under the covers where you were initially. You can do something in between. Stick with what you can handle, but keep pushing yourself a bit. I'm really proud of you, Cammy for tackling this really significant challenge of exercise reduction. This is a major victory for you ! And, it'll all get easier in time too :) It only can get better.

Telstaar said...

How'd you go with the shopping?? I never like "have to" shops...those are the ones that trigger me... the "for enjoyment" shops (rare but do occur) i deal with a bit better cause I don't have to buy anything (but this is just me clearly).

I know that the anxiety is climbing and I'm really sorry that its so uncomfortable. I wish that just made it all better you know? But I know it doesn't. I wish it was easier, but mostly I'm glad that you're doing it and trying to stick to the challenge. You can do it! You can improve on the outcomes of last weeks challenges. You are Cammy! You are strong! (yep stronger than you think.)

Thinking of you...

xoxo

Sarah at Journeying With Him said...

I believe in you, too. Stay in that anxiety, feel it, even though it sucks because it DOES help. It IS taking you somewhere. It will make a lot of things better in your life. Remind yourself of those things, one by one, when the struggle and the urges burn within you.

Anonymous said...

anxiety is always a bummer and it seems to turn up at the worst and most random moments

mariposai said...

Hi, keep seeing your comments on other blogs I read, so thought it was time I paid a visit and said hello :-)

I like your ceiling analogy, and
can empathise with the exercise issues as well - well done for cutting down...I know how hard it is, but definitely worth it in the end.

Hope the shopping goes ok

Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hey! I actually did this same exercise last night--I forced myself to sit and feel my emotions through rather than resort to Ed behavior. The rising anxiety was NOT fun--I felt like the walls were closing in one me, my ears were ringing--basically it was horrible--but sitting through it proved more than a little rewarding! I was surprised at the outpour of emotion I experienced and the conclusions it helped me come to! And no, the world does not end and youre not gonna die if you let yourself feel no matter how painful, scary or sad it may be. It's always better to take the bull by the horns than let him smack you with those same horns over and over again. :-)

K