Thursday, January 7, 2010

Exercise Challenges Start

So, I had my first post-holiday therapy appointment, and C. is definitely pulling off the gloves regarding the exercise stuff. She's not putting me cold-turkey, but I'm supposed to do 50% for 3 of the next 5 days until I see her again. With the caveat, of course, that calories are not slashed to compensate.

So this starts tomorrow. I also start back to class tomorrow. I have a pretty full schedule for the day, which might make it easier to stay distracted and more convenient to cut exercise time, but it also means I won't be all that focused on much in the classroom/lab. I have class in the morning, a coffee date w/Match afterwards, then I have a couple of errands to do. Back to campus for a seminar in the afternoon, and going out with some friends in the evening. So seems like plenty of diversions, but I know I'll probably end up just diverted mentally from the diversions, if that makes sense?

I am already feeling slightly panicky as I turn this over in my brain and try to strategize it out. I don't have the best record of compliance with these things...ok I have an ABYSMAL record of compliance with these things.

But, to quote C. verbatim: "You need to decide whether you're going to keep pussy-footing around or if you're going to really do this all the way through."

7 comments:

Kim said...

Ah yes, I'm good at pussy-footing. Is that exercise?

In any case, I think if you can do this challenge, it will actually build some confidence in the "I don't HAVE to exercise" department. I've found that as I've cut exercise (and I've done some drastic cutting in the last few weeks, for no other reason than that I just didn't think it was adding to my life in any meaningful way), my anxiety about it has gone way, way down. I was so frantic the first day I didn't walk. Now, I realize the world doesn't end and I actually choose, actively, to do less and less. It just feels better. It always helps me to think of challenges like this as just little experiments. If it really doesn't feel OK (after a significant enough time trying it), you can always go back to the routine. I'm flirting with increasing calories, yet again, to see if it helps with some of my appetite issues. It's hard to rationalize since I get my period, blah blah blah, but it's just a sense I have that it would be better for my body (and mood and other things) if I did. Just an experiment, right?

PS My word verification is "perseefr," which sounds like a toddler trying to say "persevere," doesn't it?

Maeve said...

That sounds like quite the challenge you've been given, and I applaud you for taking it on.

It sounds to me like it is going to be incredibly difficult, but everything you've written on this blog makes me believe fully that you will succeed.

It might sound really really hokey, but have you tried making a list of the positive benefits of reducing exercise? More time to sleep, do school work, see match. Less money spent on exercise clothes. Plus all the ones that will be good for your body and mind in the long run...

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Definitely a challenge you have on your hands, but I believe you're well equipped to take it on. Look at it this, way- by thinking in the short term- your therapist said this is for this week- so there is an 'ending' in sight to the challenge which can help be motivation- and you may find that at the end of the week, well it wasn't so bad was it that you can do it again. It's just like the eating/fear foods...try it once it's hard, after ten times it becomes habitual.
I know it is a lot easier said than done, and it sounds like not exercising as much causes you a lot of anxiety which you don't have any other outlets for (or at least outlets that provide the same type of relief.) Explore that a little maybe, different ways to vent that anxiety that doesn't involve symptoms :)

arexisaurus said...

my doctors always give me this challenge... and i always fail! but i know you can succeed. and i will be reading to see how you do it :)

Katie said...

I was always very talented at pussy footing too! I agree with Kim, the next few days will probably be pretty tough but once you've done it, it will be that much easier next time. I have had problems with overexercising in the past and every time I've confronted it I've been shocked at how none of my fears actually happen. It's difficult to sit with the anxiety when you're used to reacting to it by exercising, but this time around I've told myself that anxiety is GOOD, because it means my eating disorder doesn't like what I'm doing, so I must be going in the right direction!
Good luck :)

Eating With Others said...

You can do it! It's just one week at 50. Think of it as one day at a time and being a student your busy. Just think of it as one moment at a time.

now.is.now said...

Hey Cammy,

Sorry I'm a couple of days late to comment. I think this is an excellent challenge to take on. Logically you know that your body and you will be safe and fine and not balloon up or lose control or anything by cutting the exercise ime in half. It's not going to be easy, but I hope oyu can push yourself to do it. I've had to stop exercising for my knee to heal; at first it was hard, but the longer I've gone, the easier it will be. And I am still wearing the same size pants as I was a few weeks ago.

Cammy, I know how badly you want recovery. This is a really important obstacle for you to face. I know you can do it.

Also, I think the commenter who suggested making a list of the positive effects of cutting back on exercise had an excellent idea.

xoxo