Saturday, August 22, 2009

Scraps

I have now been tagged twice for the Honest Scrap Award, by Amy and Kim, but I've been so hectic for the past couple of weeks that I haven't done it yet. Sorry!

The description is: "this award is bestowed on a fellow blogger whose blog content or design is, in the giver's opinion, brilliant. This award is about bloggers who post from their heart, who often put their heart on display as they write. There are three rules that need to be followed on accepting this award:
1) Brag about it.
2) Select seven blogs you find brilliant and link to them.
3) List 10 honest things about yourself.

Bragging is hard. Hopefully it is enough to say that I am honored and appreciate the fact that Kim and Amy thought of me when tagging people for the award. If I am proud of anything, it is that I've been lucky enough to meet such amazing people in
this corner of the blogosphere. So I brag for all of us. :)

Ok, 10 honest things....

1) Every year I get one of those Page-A-Day calendars and keep it in my kitchen, but I always forget to keep up with it (I use a regular calendar and a day planner to track important things), so by the end of the year I am still somewhere in the April section.

2) The only thing I have ever deliberately stolen was the lid to a toilet tank, swiped from a gas station. This is a loooong story.

3) I scar insanely easily. Even little scratches or scrapes that barely even drew blood often form keloid scars. My knees are the worst, due to an active and adventurous childhood.

4) The amount of music I listen to dropped dramatically when I got an iPod. When I'm walking (which is about 98% of the time I listen to my ipod), I prefer podcasts and audiobooks. Podcasts are FREE and music is not...I do have quite a bit of music on there, though, and listen to it while I drive, and when I work out.

5) If I am eating something square or rectangular (sandwich, poptart, etc), I bite around the perimeter of it first until it's round and then eat the middle. This is not an ED quirk, I've done it ever since I can remember.

6) I have worked with a variety of animals that many people are afraid of, but I am very afraid of water fowl (ducks, swans, etc). Bad childhood experiences.

7) When I was a kid, I had an imaginary camel named P.J., and I used to play checkers with him. I wish I remembered whether he was a Bactrian or a Dromedary.

8) I was so insanely lonely and desperate to meet people after I moved that I finally joined Match.com. My new city is big enough that there were actually a good number of people in the vicinity also registered on the site. I've been trading e-mails with a few people, but have one that is definitely a favorite. Awkward turtle: on the day of my grad school orientation, one of the PhD students recognized me from the site and sent me an e-mail afterwards confirming he was right. Ack!

9) I am immune to poison ivy. I still try to avoid it, because it is one of those things to which you develop sensitivity, not immunity, through exposure. (Did you know the mango is in the same family as poison ivy? Some people's mouths break out of if they eat it. Sad.)

10) I always wrote stories as a kid, and have the first 50,000 words of a novel gathering digital dust on my hard drive right now.


I have been sp behind the times with doing this that I am not sure of who has already been tagged and who hasn't, so I sprinkle the tag juice on the masses, go forth and confess your quirks!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Need toilet lid story stat.

Eating With Others said...

Ok I have to ask about 9, can a person stop being alergic to mango's. Just the juice on me and I blow up like a baloon and turn a shade of red. Not a prety sight, and the blowing up thing, not ED related. And just like a baloon they pop me with a needle. OUCH!

now.is.now said...

CONGRATS ON THE WELL DESERVED AWARD!

I love the imaginary camel! That is so cute!!! AND HILARIOUS!! I had an imaginary friend too.... but mine was a human :) And her name was "Ah." I played "catch" with her.

Kim said...

I'm totally with you on #5. And keep us posted on the match.com happenings! I have several friends who have had success with that! And I want to read your novel-in-progress :)

Unknown said...

Haha that devil rubber duck picture is cute but ;)
I didn't know that mango is in the same family as poison ivy...that is sad that some people can't eat it. It's my favourite favourite fruit!

Wrapped up in Life said...

#2!! The toilet story story - someday, please????

Anonymous said...

I think everyone is curious what is behind the toilet story!

I can wonder what species my imaginary animal Delfáček was (mix of plushy dog and a seal i would say:))

And Nr5! I had or have plenty of geometrical and other weird patterns of eating certain food. They are waaaaay older than my eating disorder. Predisposition?

Sending a gang of awesome turtles to you, good luck with your favourite match.com-candidate!

Tasty Health Food said...

I do the square biting thing too! I swear I thought I was the only one. I chew the ends and sides off of things like bars and toaster pastries and then form the left overs into a circle. xD We're weirdies together!