Precisely. Now, what I find, is that people tell me I'm being too sensitive and that people without eating disorders would not see these magazines as harmful. I still disagree, but have learned that it's just easier to shut up than to try to explain that it's not just me being too anything.
When I was still teaching, I would joke around with my girls (middle school aged) that the surest way to feel stupid, fat, ugly and unfeminine, was to read one of those magazines. I pointed out that the magazines essentially were telling you that if you follow their 'advice', you would thus become, beautiful, sexy, and smart. Clearly those behind the magazine were telling us that we aren't good enough as is, unless we follow their advice to 'fix' ourselves.
Seriously, Jessica Hagy has to be one of the smartest people ever. I admire how she can so quickly analyze and skewer our perceptions in under 10 words.
5 comments:
Ok I don't get it.
Look at that, would you! See, I would have blathered on for paragraphs and paragraphs in order to convey the same info. God bless diagrams.
Precisely. Now, what I find, is that people tell me I'm being too sensitive and that people without eating disorders would not see these magazines as harmful. I still disagree, but have learned that it's just easier to shut up than to try to explain that it's not just me being too anything.
When I was still teaching, I would joke around with my girls (middle school aged) that the surest way to feel stupid, fat, ugly and unfeminine, was to read one of those magazines. I pointed out that the magazines essentially were telling you that if you follow their 'advice', you would thus become, beautiful, sexy, and smart. Clearly those behind the magazine were telling us that we aren't good enough as is, unless we follow their advice to 'fix' ourselves.
Seriously, Jessica Hagy has to be one of the smartest people ever. I admire how she can so quickly analyze and skewer our perceptions in under 10 words.
I <3 Jessica Hagy.
Post a Comment