Sunday, April 26, 2009

Positive Padding

Now that hot weather us upon us again, there is one aspect of my added poundage for which I am actually thankful.  In the past, I have been extremely, extremely self conscious about having thick, ropy veins visible on my arms and legs when I got overheated.  The webby patterned skin may have worked for Spiderman, but for mere mortals, it's just not nice looking.

 It was also always a dead give away, when I lived at home, that I had been exercising in my room.  If my mom knocked on the door to see what I was doing, I could act nonchalant, but she knew to check my forearms to see how visible the veins were. Vasodilation ratted me out every time.

Having added muscle, and yes, fat, does make for much more aesthetically pleasing limbs when it comes to hiding those veins (I mean, obviously you can see healthy people's veins sometimes, but the sticky-outy-ness is diminished), so that is my positive body thought for the day.

I am afraid people are going to come back from the weekend and see this barrage of posts by me and think, well, I don't know, insert negative thought here.  Now that the semester is winding up, and my life is about to go down a whole new road, I guess I have just been in a contemplative mood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've really been enjoying your updates - and my semester is over, so I have plenty of time to keep reading. Thank you for sharing!

Kim said...

The implications of summer make me happy for recovering too. I want to wear shorts and not feel self-conscious about spindly legs, damn it!

brie said...

Oh I hear ya, honey. I get the creepy vein stick outs, too. Funny thing; I never paid too much attention to them until my husband repeatedly made comments about how they grossed him out. :) I notice them all the time, now.

Seriously...now I can't stop looking at my hands. Do you get them on your hands?

Note to self: think of said veins when I hook myself up to the PEG at night; could be very motivating. :)

Cammy said...

Yes! This weekend I was handing a frog to one of my students and noticed that, compared to hers, I have the hands of a geriatric old man. Ick.