Thursday, April 23, 2009

In Which I am Reminded of My Ingratitude

There was a veteran's health awareness booth on the campus concourse today.  One of the guys behind the table had been in a vehicle bombing in Iraq.  He is 24 years old, painfully handsome and outgoing, and has had every one of his limbs amputated.  Every single one.  Both legs above the knees, one arm above the elbow, one arm just below the elbow.  

And just one hour before I walked by him, I had been close to tears over the imaginary fat rolls on my intact and completely functional body.  The amount of time and energy I spend stressing out over a body that is actually pretty perfect--as far as physiological processes, mobility, and other things that contribute to enjoyment of freedom and independence--should be criminal.  I felt truly ashamed when I walked past that guy in his wheelchair, knowing that I had been stressing out about my thighs moving with each step while he was coming to terms with the fact that he would never even take another step.

Yes, objectively I know that AN is a mental illness that runs strongly in my family, and thus I shouldn't blame myself for it, but I still felt like the biggest ditz in the world after that poignant dose of reality.  Nothing like a little perspective.


2 comments:

Kim said...

Like you said, AN is a mental illness...it's not like we can just "snap out of it." However, sometimes, there are just certain things that take us out of that world for a while. Perspective is always a good thing.

Just Eat It! said...

There's no need to feel guilty about having an illness. You can't guilt-trip yourself into being well. Your circumstances are much different than his.

I used to have somewhat of a similar experience, when I thought about all the poverty and starving children in other countries. I always felt bad because I had plenty of food, but my eating disorder never allowed me to eat it.