Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Self in Self-Help

Sunday reading recommendation: I was fascinated by this article by Kathryn Schulz in New York Magazine on the self-help industry and what it tells us about, well, us and our issues.

 I know the Schulz uses weight *loss* as an example in one paragraph (come on, it's the American media, it's inevitable), but I she's essentially talking about lifestyle changes, and I think that can easily be translated to weight gain or cessation of disordered behaviors in ED recovery.

I was a little disappointed with the last page or so when she describes her own recovery from depression (that sounds awful, clarification: I'm super happy she made it through and is in a better place, but I think she really gave short shrift to what a damn hard process it can be). But the discussion about our concepts of self, inner motivation, and what behavior modification even means is pretty interesting.

Snip:

"...all self-help literature offers is a kind of metaphysical power of attorney for our putative better halves. But if you identify with the above-mentioned Oreo-eater or healthy-­relationship saboteur or procrastinator, you yourself are evidence that this is a nonsolution. If giving your better half executive control by fiat could change your life, sales of self-help material would plummet overnight. It is a somewhat beautiful fact that the underlying theory of the self-help industry is contradicted by the self-help industry’s existence."


Would love to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to read it!

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

With the caveat that I didn't get a chance to read the whole thing, I did find her discussion of the "master theory of self-help" which "posits, at a minimum, two selves: one that needs a kick in the ass and one that is capable of kicking." While I think the idea of "selfhood" is a little more complicated than that, I think that is a good tool for self-helpers to utilize. By believing that there is a part of you that is separate from the problem/disorder/whatever, you can assume this sense of power and autonomy that might better equip you to cope or recover. On the other hand (and now I'm thinking of the "Goodbye Ed, Hello Me"-type approach), I suppose this runs the risk of alienating the person from a disorder which may be inextricably linked, for better or for worse, with their underlying personality. We can't excise the parts of ourselves that might make us vulnerable to EDs or depression or anxiety or procrastination, nor should we, because those same parts might also have value in other areas when properly channeled.

Um, aren't you glad I didn't read the whole thing? I might have left you six more pages of notes.