Well hi there, happy 2013. I haven't updated in quite a while; I flew up to Match City on December 16, we drove back to my parent's house on the 20th and spent Christmas there, did a road trip back to my Undergrad Town (LOVE LOVE that place) a couple of days after Christmas, and the plan was for Match to drive back to his own city this week to start work today, with me planning to fly out to spend another week or two with him later in January.
Then on Tuesday morning we started looking at plane ticket prices and realized how much more sense it would make for me to ride back with him on Wednesday and buy just a one-way ticket back, which carried the added benefit of me being here before he starts classes again later in the month. He still has to work at least a half-day most days, but at least he doesn't have classes and studying on top of that for now.
SO the upshot of all of that is that I had about 4 hours notice on Tuesday that instead of returning to all of my routines and norms and alone time as of yesterday, I actually needed to pack for a 600 mile road trip to stay up here in Match City for 2 weeks.
YIIIIIIPE.
Fortunately it was less disruptive to do this leaving from my parents' house than if I'd been leaving my own place (which I don't actually have right now; I'm subletting my apartment in PhD City until I get back from Tropical Research Country in June. I need a fictional Cammy Atlas or something to keep all these places straight). Basically, between now and June, no matter where I am it is not my own space, so whatever.
So I'm here. It's actually going to be a bit of a relief because I'll have the place to myself until at least the afternoon and sometimes all day for most days due to Match's work schedule. And I waaaay prefer sharing a bathroom with Match to sharing one with my two teenage brothers (gag). I have access to a gym here, and the public transit is good enough to get me anywhere I need to go on my own. So it could be worse.
I did okay ED-wise over the holidays given the circumstances. While we were at my parents' house I managed to get by on between 1/2-3/4 of normal exercise most days (sometimes less, just once or twice a bit more) by going to the gym early in the morning before Match was awake (he knew I was going, I just did it that way to avoid losing waking time with everyone). I did adjust my calories accordingly, but did NOT overcompensate out of anxiety (ie burning X less calories in exercise but taking in 2X less in food just because I'm nervous about the change in routine), which has been a strong trend during past holiday seasons.
Some days I did even come close to normal cals despite the reduced exercise (read: holiday parties = lots of alcohol = Cammy hates to let a good wine go to waste, elliptical time be damned). And I did feel a possible slight shift of norm, I think if I pushed I could let myself have full cals at 3/4 baseline exercise to start with, and try to walk it back further from there...we'll see. I have less than a month before I leave for Tropical Research Country and did need to gain some weight before that...
Speaking of that, I haven't weighed myself at all since I left PhD City, so I have no idea what my weight did over the holidays. I feel kind of blobby because I haven't had time to get in weight-lifting and strength training like I like, but I learned long ago not to trust my perceptions on that kind of thing. And stuff still fits the same as far as I can notice. So there's that.
I feel like Match and I grow/develop/figure things out a bit more on each visit, and this will set a record as our longest continuous visit ever (over a month). There were a couple of rocky patches, but really just one or two significant fights and I feel like sometimes that's part of the growing process. So I think that's going well, which is a relief because we need a solid standing to go over 4 months without seeing each other during my upcoming field research session.
Ooookay that's my long holiday update, sorry y'all. I feel like I'm glossing over tons of detail but most of it was probably mundane and of minimal interest anyway. I'm behind on reading blogs since I haven't had the same amount of free internet time while visiting with family/Match, but plan to catch up soon. Really hope everyone is doing well; happy holidays. Love y'all.
2 comments:
Lots going on! Really great to hear that you were able to keep your intake up fairly well despite reduced exercise time. I hope you're able to keep that up and get as healthy as possible before going to Tropical Research Country. I know you can do it!
It's so wonderful to hear/read that you and Match are on such solid ground and are able to spend some quality time together before you leave. I hope it continues to go well!
Hey Cammy—great to hear from you! sounds like you are doing pretty okay despite a very eventful and unpredictable holiday season! And it's great that you and Match got to spend so much time together. Wow, I'm totally impressed with how you are handling the unstable living situations between now and June, that takes huge guts and I don't think I'd be able to swing it. Best of luck to you for the rest of your holiday, not sure how long that is, and hope to hear more from you soon!
Post a Comment