Saturday, November 17, 2012

Strategy Flop, Body Hunger, etc

Calories = boosted two days in a row.  Body = oblivious as far as hunger/fullness/energy goes, but oh well, baby steps.

Remember my wise strategy of making a plan the night before so I wouldn't have to decide what to eat in the moment? Well I failed to double check that I actually had those ingredients in my kitchen, so had to overhaul it on the fly anyway yesterday morning. Wise strategy indeed. I survived, though, imagine that.

Leg = just as busted feeling as ever. UGH, damn you Jiffy Pop bones.

I think this is one of the first weekends of the semester when I've done zero Going Out or socializing at all, but last week I went out 5 nights in a row (!)(there was an election to celebrate!), so I really needed the recharge time and I have enough work to keep me plenty occupied.

I'm still getting used to my new adviser. He is great in a lot of ways, but is also stretched in a lot of directions and sometimes I can't even tell if I think he likes me.  Oh well.  My lab and department are great, and this adviser is definitely the right guy for me to be working with for the research I want to do. Still prepping my application for a megabig grant and I go back and forth between thinking I have no hope and thinking there's no way they can not fund this amazing project I'm cooking up. So we'll see.

Someone commented on an earlier post asking what I meant by "body hunger." When I say that I mean that I don't feel a hunger pain or tummy rumble, but my body just feels sort of depleted, drained, empty.  I usually feel it in my legs and head the most. I've lost a lot of stomach-hunger cues over the course of my ED, they are hyper unreliable, and I often feel it in other parts of my body first.  And then again sometimes my stomach feels empty after a big meal.  Clearly, my body and I have some communication issues.

Happy weekend, love y'all.

2 comments:

Alie said...

Congrats on boosting the calories! Especially when you had to change your plans. I know how hard that is, so I think it's really awesome that you stuck to your plan of increasing cals and just found another way to do it. Go you!

I'm glad you're still enjoying the lab and university, and it is a tough adjustment to a new major prof, but I'm positive he likes you! I'm sure it's more his level of busyness than anything else. You work hard, are very creative and intelligent, and you're a very kind and caring person, ie. the ideal PhD student! Good luck with the grant app!

Hope the leg starts feeling better, and keep up the awesome work with cals!

Kaylee said...

thumbs down on the leg, but thumbs up on the calorie boost! I can definitely sympathize on the "body hunger" issue - I've been known to sit for half an hour at the kitchen table trying to decide whether or not the weird achy feeling in my stomach is actually hunger or not. Because God forbid I eat if I'm not hungry! Hope you were able to have some good recharging time and a wonderful holiday.