Monday, November 12, 2012

Probably Not Unanticipated

Well, I'm sure this surprises exactly zero of you, but I appear to have accumulated some kind of overuse damage in my shin/knee region that has once again forced me to give up running.  And believe me, if it hurts enough for me to finally call it, it's not just an ache.  I'm debating whether to get an x-ray, because the location and type of pain feels much more like a stress fracture than a shin splint (see a good description of the distinctions here).

I haven't run in exactly a week (and that one run was after taking one day longer between runs than I normally do), and it's worse than ever today.  Of course, I haven't scaled back on any other weight-bearing activities, because that would be logical and smart and when it comes to exercise I ain't never neither.

UGH.  

4 comments:

Kaylee said...

ouch, really sorry to hear that. Even if it does seem totally logical and predictable in hindsight, that doesn't make an injury any less sucky. Hang in there, I hope you are able to see a doctor and get back on your feet soon.

Maeve said...

Just because something can be anticipated doesn't make it hurt any less when it happens. I really hope that the pain abates soon!!!

Alie said...

Yuck, no fun at all! Hurts no matter whether you were expecting it or not. Hope it heals up fast!

JS said...

ice massages!! freeze a tiny dixie cup of water, then smash the ice into your leg. seriously, it helps way more than i ever expect it to.

i hope you feel better soon & are able to back off on the stuff that's making this worse. i always feel like it's soooo unfair that even tho running probably caused this, stopping running might not be enough to fix it.

hang in there.